Tea-less tea rooms Carhops in fact andfiction Finds of the day: twotaverns Dining with adisability The history of the restaurant of thefuture The food gap All the salad you caneat Find of the day,almost Famous in its day: TheBakery Training department storewaitresses Chocolate on themenu Restaurant-ing with theKlan Diet plates Christian restaurant-ing Taste of a decade: 1980srestaurants Higbees Silver Grille Bulgarian restaurants Dining with DiamondJim Restaurant wear 2016, a recap Holiday banquets for thenewsies Multitasking eateries Famous in its day: the Blue Parrot TeaRoom A hair in thesoup When presidents eatout Spooky restaurants The mysterious SingingKettle Famous in its day: Aunt FannysCabin Faces on thewall Dining for acause Come as youare The Gables Find of the day: IfflandsHofbrau-Haus Find of the day: Hancock Tavernmenu Cooking with gas Ladies restrooms All you caneat Taste of a decade: 1880srestaurants Anatomy of a corporate restaurantexecutive Surf n turf Odd restaurant buildings: ducks Dining with theGrahamites Deep fried When coffee wasking A fantasy drive-in Farm to table Between courses: masticating withHorace Restaurant-ing with MildredPierce Greeting the NewYear On the 7th day theyfeasted Find of the day: Wayside FoodShop Cooking up Thanksgiving Automation, part II: the disappearingkitchen Dining alone Coppas famous walls Image gallery: insultingwaitresses Famous in its day: Partridges Find of the day: Mrs. Ks Toll HouseTavern Automation, part I: the disappearingserver Find of the day: Moodys Dinercookbook To go Pepper mills Little things: butterpats The dining room light anddark Dining at sea Reservations 100 years ofquotations Restaurant-ing with Soviethumorists Heroism at lunch Caper sauce atTaylors Shared meals High-volume restaurants: Crook & Duff(etc.) This pub was one of the first to set the standards of "Classic Taverns." Address: 73 Hamburg Street, Buffalo, New York. SANDWICH SHOP IN ROCHESTER, NEW YORK 57 CLINTON AVE SOUTH. The restaurant was a part of the sometimes-strange development of Delaware Avenue. For example, a note on the bottom of the box read, "Open the top, and turn the box upside down. The dining room featured crystal chandeliers. Pretzel sticks? This was also a "fur and game" farm business which sold the furs of the domesticated animals. Could be this place, A cardinalsits amongbishops in a City of Buffalo(CHESTER KOWAL, MAYOR)parade shelter, A Buffalo Police captain, as priests look on. It featured two rinks; one of them actually had its own fireplace and lounge. The International House of Pancakes is one of those chain restaurants that has come and gone a handful of times in Western New York. Does anyone know which street housed the East Inn Restaurant east of Michigan Avenue in Chicago in the 1950s-60s. He passed 8 yrs ago, and is missed dearly. I remember my father, on getting the bill the first time there, telling us we all had to work in the kitchen that night. Many in the Syracusearea remember with great fondness the animated graveyard and the iconic "Oscar," a 14-foot tall, 1,600-pound animated monster. Published by Steve Cichon Steve Cichon writes about Buffalo's pop culture history. The steakhouse and salad bar arrived in Buffalo in the mid-'70s, and there were eight locations by the end of the decade. In November 1949, Collier's Magazine did a multi-page full color article on what they called "The Biggest Little Store in America." Buffalo Traffic Accidents 1923-25. The Depew location closed when the company filed for bankruptcy in 1983. My mom lives with us now, and has a photo of their reception. There were several locations in Upstate New York, including most major cities. Extra points for white belt and argyle socks with shorts. Hi Jan, Yes, there were several Boston Stores at its peak (14 stores total), but here we remember the one in downtown Utica. 1959 Along suburban roadways national hamburger chains offer stiff competition to drive-ins and downtown hamburger shops such as Little Tavern and White Tower. He names it Wings and Things, thats what he specializes in, and I think he absolutely deserves credit for that, Van Ness says. Deansboro is located in Oneida County. Famous in its day:Feras Why the parsleygarnish? By Steve Cichon |steve@buffalostories.com | @stevebuffalo. The change . toward Ashland. View all posts by Steve Cichon, Buffalo's Pop Culture Heritage | Buffalo's Radio & TV | Buffalo's Neighborhoods | Parkside | Family & Genealogy | &c, &c, &c:Reflections from Steve's desk, All Content Buffalo Stories LLC | Contact Steve, Buffalo in the 90s: Convenient K-Mart ad compiles every sneaker brand kids hate, Astigmatism, My OlMan, and Leonard Nimoy, Steve Cichons podcast: Wonderin How I Got Here, Buffalos Past By Steve Cichon in The Buffalo News, Talks, Seminars, & Workshops by Steve Cichon, &c, &c, &c: reflections from Steve's desk. That's why when a national chain can remain part of the conversation on where we love to eat, there must be something special about it. It was originally called the Great Lakes Theatre, the name having been chosen in a contest with city residents suggesting names. At its peak in 1971, there were more than 400 Lums around the country. He writes about Buffalos pop culture history. Regarding Felix Young, I can only tell you that he was involved in many night club restaurants, as owner, co-owner, maybe operator. It had an old world atmosphere and, I was told, east European waiters. The Buffalo Savings Bank building stands tall above its neighbors on Main Street in 1904. Its a New York plate, so Buffalo is a good guess. This was one of the first and classiest restaurants on Wolf Road, which has become the main business thoroughfare in busy Latham. IL. The first and ultimately the last Howard Johnsons was on Delaware and North starting around 1941. Casual dining prevails, both at home and in public, yet interest in new dining experiences, luxury, and exotic cuisines is apparent. The park's motto was: "No place on earth like this!". Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. American, Steakhouse $$ - $$$ Menu. The business closed in 2001 after 26 years in business. This one looks like a more honest-to-goodness gin mill, with at least four Iroquois signs on the wall. In Stockton CA patrons can choose among Billys Drive-In, Dicks Drive In, Dons Drive-In, Travo-Burger Drive Inn, or the Snow White Drive Inn. Wendy's also serves a spicy version of their chicken nuggets. Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of a restaurant in Brooklyn NY called Moms Place? At one time there were more than 500 Shakey's in the United States and around the world. They were about 4 inches round, chewy center, crisp edges. "You're are only 1,000 feet from a great meal!" A sentimental favorite restaurant for "char-broiled steaks." "Coffee break in Strasbourg". Paddys Clam House was on W. 34 St. west of 7th Ave. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. Restaurant-ing al fresco A chefs life: CharlesRanhfer The (partial) triumph of the doggiebag Early chains: John R.Thompson Anatomy of a restaurateur: Mary AllettaCrump Laddition: on discrimination Between courses: dining withreds Banqueting at $herrys* Who invented lobsterNewberg? One thing is sure, thats Buffalos own Simon Pure beer in the can to the left. At some point in the mid 1960s, by Frank and Teressa Bellissimos telling, their Anchor Bar began serving its own version of chicken wings. One of the first (and most beautiful) electric theater marquees. SUBSCRIBE: $1 for 3 months. I found a NYTimes review of it in the early 1980s. Buffalo China Buffalo, New York Restaurant Ware Collectors Network . Church-going enjoys a revival. Here is a basic primer of 23 names or phrases for newcomers. andwining? Quake was introduced in 1965 by Quaker, shaped like gears with holes in the middle, and advertised as "wonderful wheelies of corn and oats buzzin' with honey and bustin' with earthquake power." Sushi first started gaining popularity in the U.S. in the 1960s, when a restaurant called Kawafuku opened in Los Angeles' Little Tokyo neighborhood. Number 3 for the Sabres is Mike Robitaille. Apr 25, 2023. Anatomy of a restaurant family: theDownings, Irs Taste of a decade: 1950s restaurants. In NYC, advertising executives make up the largest category of members, followed by people in the TV industry. Black bears were a real crowd favorite. All Rights Reserved. I know their hamburgers didnt look like that! The Buffalo Sabres and Chicago Blackhawks at Memorial Auditorium. Hale's called itself a stationary store, but generations knew it for its large selection of penny candy, ice cream cones, comic books and more. The Daughters of Charity were responsible for the operation of Sisters Hospital. If nothing happens, this box is empty." Snowy Main Street - 1930's. Heywood Wakefield, Seneca and Wells, early 1930's. Spencer Kellogg & Sons Company - 1940. Ceilings on display The Automat goescountry Maitre ds Added attractions: cocktaillounges Lunching at the drugstore Lunch in a bus station,maybe Suffrage tea & lunchrooms Image gallery: have aseat! The longtime pitchman for Loblaw's was actor William Shatner: "At Loblaw's, more than the price is right! Tab, introduced by the Coca-Cola company in 1963, was the second diet soft drink to hit the market (after Diet Rite, which came out in 1958). Dining underground on LongIsland My blogging anniversary Underground dining Odors and aromas Digging for dinner Restaurant as communitycenter The Mister chains Celebrity restaurants: HeresJohnnys Pizza by any othername Womens lunch clubs The long life of ElFenix Pausing to reflect Sugar on thetable Famous in its day: LePavillon Native American restaurants Restaurant ware An early French restaurantchain Biblical restaurants Thanksgiving dinner at ahotel Dinner and amovie Restaurant murals Dining at theCentennial Restaurant-ing in 1966 Romanian restaurants Nans Kitchens Fish & chips & alligatorsteaks Appetizer: words, concepts,contents French fried onionrings Hash house lingo The golden age ofsandwiches Black Tulsas restaurants They delivered Americas finest restaurant,revisited Tableside theater Bicycling to lunch anddinner Anatomy of a chef: JohnDingle Sunny side up? A few of Buffalos favorite (chain) restaurants of the past. Trash, garbage, andwaste Americas literary chef The smrgsbord saga Meals along theway Dinner in Miami, Dec. 25,1936 An early restaurateurs rise &fall Runaway menu prices Thanks so much! Families were invited during Easter & Christmas Holidays. New York Central Terminal - 1929. There were several Purina mills and elevators in Western New Yoek, including one in The Valley. com. Congress passes the Internal Security Act requiring communists to register with the Attorney General. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Restaurant history quiz (In)famous in its day: the Nixonschain The checkered life of achef Catering to the rich andfamous Famous in its day: London ChopHouse Who invented Caesarsalad? Aside from one location in Nebraska that closed in 2017, all other Lum's had closed by 1983. The Bresee's Health Bar was a popular gathering place for families and business people alike. I cant find any reference to it. Ruth S, My mother will be 78 years young tomorrow on August 7th & I am desperately trying to find a old pictures of the menu from the Snow White Drive in where she worked in Tennessee from in the 50s for her cake. Deco Refreshments, Inc. was a restaurant chain in Buffalo, New York which operated thirty-nine restaurants in 1929. Even as social pressures push women toward homemaking, 40% work outside the home. Thanks to the popularity of restaurants like Trader Vic's, the tiki craze plowed full-steam ahead through the 1950s and 1960s before dying down at the end of the decade.