I got my picture taken with him at a signing event at a bar during some pregame festivities a few years ago, he looked just about the same as his playing days. Krieg is one of the main reasons for the Seahawks finishing 12-4 in 1984 (season Curt Warner got injured in the 1st game and missed the rest of the season). In the wild-card round of the playoffs, when the Chiefs hosted the Pittsburgh Steelers, an injured Montana briefly left the game. All-Pro Steve Largent missed several games because of a fractured elbow. [42], Krieg is now a motivational speaker and real estate investor in Phoenix, Arizona. The Seahawks finished 7-9 in 1991, and everyone, including new owner Ken Behring, finally grew tired of having the same mediocre season with the same old-school coach and three quarterbacks over and over again. (Both teams finished 5th in their respective AFC divisions in 1980, so they played each other twice in 1981.) Searching for contemporary comparisons for Krieg may be missing the point, however. ), is beyond me. Krieg led the Seahawks to a pair of easy early-season wins, then suffered one of his midseason mini-apocalypses against the Chargers, throwing three interceptions before a separated shoulder sidelined him for weeks. Kemp relieved Krieg in the fourth quarter and nearly led the Seahawks on a scoring drive in the final 71 seconds. Like Fitzpatrick, Krieg played for so long that his origin story became a broadcast trope, and he often played just well enough to get his next job rather than keep his current one. Krieg left a Week 3 loss to the Rams after enduring seven sacks. How can people say the Hawks did not address their needs? However, he faltered in midseason, so Coach Knox benched him in favor of Gale Gilbert. [14], Despite a prodigious effort by Mike McCormack to recruit Warren Moon to join the QB ranks in Seattle, Krieg resumed his starting role 1984 after Moon declined Seattle's offer and chose to play for the Houston Oilers instead. ', and I said, 'I guess I do now.'". Tony Romo was uniformly terrific. "He's a streak passer, and when he's on a hot streak, it's hard to get him out of that rhythm.". Where is Dave Krieg now? However, Krieg's pedestrian performance on the road in the playoffs contributed to the Seahawks' swift elimination at the hands of the top-seeded Cincinnati Bengals. The Packers narrowly held off the Lions for a 38-30 win. Krieg played brilliantly in the wild card round of the playoffs, helping his team rout Steve DeBerg and the Broncos in the Kingdome. "I figured I had gone too far now, so I just kept going. Krieg led the Seahawks to a 34-21 win over the Raiders that week. He also had 417 rushing attempts for 1,261 yards and 13 touchdowns and 3 pass receptions for 10 yards. Packers defender Sean Jones said after the game that he was wary of Krieg coming off the bench. [26] Two weeks later, at the AFC Championship Game in Buffalo, Montana sustained a concussion and left the game in the third quarter. Football Outsiders content published by ESPN. The Chiefs of that era were coached by the great Marty Schottenheimer, managed by the great Carl Petersen, and addicted to creaky quarterbacks. Bigger hands and Dave would have been so much better. "He was doing a great job moving the team up and down the field. Well find a hand-size correlation soon. Rising to the occasion, Krieg threw for 3,671 yards and 32 touchdowns, leading his team to a 12-4 record and another wild card playoff appearance. There's something oddly poetic about Dave Krieg giving up a record number of sacks in a game, then scrambling around to barely avoid giving up an 8th sack, and then winning the game with an improbable long touchdown pass. Join us for a final installment of the Legends of DVOA which spans nearly a generation and features labor strikes, cantankerous coaches, and over a decade's worth of quarterback controversies. FactSnippet No. Krieg replaced the trio of Steve Beuerlein, Jay Schroeder, and Jim McMahon as Ryan sought the ultimate plucky, seasoned handoff machine. Krieg's Bears success earned him a two-year stint behind Steve McNair for Jeff Fisher's Oilers/Titans. Dave Krieg WebIts true that he once led the NFL in fumbles due to his small hands. The union demanded free agency, rookies held out, and the league nearly cannibalized itself. I saw one of those Top 10 Busts or some such show where one player was saying that Mirer was done as soon as they figured out he wouldn't or couldn't throw to his right or his left, I can't remember which any more. The annual offensive comas his teams lapsed into may well have been the result of outdated offenses, weak pass protection, and coaches who thought shuffling quarterbacks might provide a "spark" and that publicly negging their players would motivate them. Without a strong supporting cast, Krieg turned in another inconsistent year. Krieg threw for 264 yards and two touchdowns, including a 57-yard game-winner to Largent, in a win over a strong Jets team. Krieg ran a power-I offense as a prep quarterback at D.C. Everest High School in Schofield, Wisconsin. See Photos. I never saw any of Krieg's good Seahawks seasons, and I never really saw Curt Warner or Steve Largent play, but I knew who they were because they were a pretty awesome trio in the original Techmo Bowl. "He's got a big-league arm. I liked him (probably because that's how Philadelphia area sportswriters often wrote). Great stuff. The Seahawks went 9-7 but missed the playoffs. My favorite Kelly Stouffer statline is from 1991. In 19 seasons, Krieg played in 213 games, completed 58.5 percent of his passes (3,105 of 5,311) for 38,147 passing yards, 261 touchdowns, 199 interceptions and an 81.5 rating. Cranky coaches! However, on the last play of the game, as time expired, Thomas closed in for yet another apparent sack, but Krieg eluded the linebacker and threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Paul Skansi for the win. Knox returned to coach the Rams for three awful years before retiring. [1][9][10][11], Krieg began the strike-shortened 1982 season as the Seahawks' starting quarterback and played respectably until a thumb injury sidelined him for several weeks. Dave is proud to be a board NFL's management counsel consulted with the National Labor Relations Board and ordered the fines rescinded. Dave Krieg | American Football Database | Fandom It was the later-mentioned Steve Deberg at the helm that game. We went out for pre-game warm-ups, then came back in and Jerry Rhome said, 'Hey, you know you're starting, don't you? Krieg also played well in Miami the following week, but the Dolphins defeated the Seahawks and went on to lose Super Bowl XIX. It may not display this or other websites correctly. But Krieg was now an in-demand veteran backup. Again, his passer rating told the tale: 3 horrible games (below 50), 4 mediocre ones (50s and 60s), 5 good efforts (70s and 80s), and 4 outstanding performances (90s or better). Meanwhile, in St. Louis, former Colorado State quarterback Kelly Stouffer held out for a full year after the Cardinals selected him sixth overall in the 1987 draft. And Krieg is better than Zorn has ever been in the past.". He didn't get many opportunities to impress recruiters, so he ended up at Milton College, a tiny NAIA program located southeast of Madison. "I wish I had an arm like John Elway but I don't," Krieg said in the same article. Did our Marvin49 just get featured in a niner nation article? It was our first year of season tickets. But Fitzpatrick only finished in the top 10 in DVOA once, in 2018. That quote would have kept the midday sport talk industry busy for a month if the industry existed back then. Sign up for the For The Win newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning. By this point, "small hands" had been added to "played for a college that no longer exists" in Krieg's short-form resume, and he's still third (behind Brett Favre and Warren Moon) on the all-time fumble list. He threw three touchdowns, two of them to Largent, in a blowout victory over the Browns in the season finale. that season, because of Kreig. Krieg's burden grew heavier in 1990, with the retirement of Largent and the continued decline of the offensive line and the running game. Consistently inconsistent. Completed only 1 of 12 passes Patera was fired near the start of the strike. DeBerg moved on, and Krieg found himself handing off to Christian Okoye and Barry Word in a conservative offense for a team run by an old-school head coach that got hammered in the first round of the playoffs. He's way better than DeBerg!" In the 1991 NFL Draft, the Seahawks used their first round pick on another quarterback of the future, Dan McGwire. Defends its Crown, 2022 Failed Completions: Justin Herbert Aims for the Record, XFL Week 6 Preview: Houston and D.C. in a Prime-Time Special, Lomas Brown admitted that he got "gator arms", the famous game-winner against the Chiefs, Playoff Previews (previously Game Previews). The Seahawks had joined the NFL just four years earlier in 1976. But he barely played in Tennessee and retired after the 1998 season. I want to hammer home how ridiculous this sentiment is. I called home and complained, my Dad said, yeah, we don't watch the games, it's too depressing so we just set up the VCR and send you the tapes. Like Romo, Krieg rose from the bottom of the bench to have some fabulous seasons, as well as some not-so-fabulous ones. 907830E5-9AEB-4FD2-9C5E-5AFCA574DF26.jpeg. "There isn't anything particularly outstanding I can tell you about Kelly Stouffer other than he has a good arm, he's tall, and he can move around pretty good," Knox said of the quarterback his team traded a first-round pick for. Patera, who happened to be the brother of Olympic weightlifter and pro wrestling legend Ken Patera, never coached again after the Seahawks fired him. Steve DeBerg, a career journeyman mentor who arrived in Kansas City at age 33, had been the Chiefs starter for four seasons, leading the team to the playoffs twice. Does anyone else remember Dave Krieg? | Seahawks However, Krieg's poor performance in the playoffs on the road contributed to the wild-card Chiefs' swift elimination by the San Diego Chargers.[25]. NFL Combine 5 QBs with smaller hands who were just fine in the It was Zorn's second straight terrible game at home, and Kingdome fans booed their former hero. WebThe idea is that small hands mean youre more likely to fumble when hit or lose your grip on the ball when passing in bad weather. You would think that that wouldve precluded Brady from throwing 624 touchdowns and winning seven Super Bowls somewhere along the way. I swear, I'm going to be accused of being a secret Cowboys fan, but I'm going to tout Romo again. But Patera did release Sam McCullum, a productive veteran receiver who also happened to be the Seahawks' union rep. Legal actions ensued. "He's the man we're going with," Turner said of Krieg at the time. And his DVOA record only backs that up. In reply to I remember when 44 year old by vrao81. 6) The Seahawks' five game winning streak at the end of the 1986 season impressed everyone at the time. WebDave Krieg was probably the 12th best QB in the NFL in his era behind Montana, Elway, Marino, Kelly, Moon, Esiason, Kosar, OBrien, Simms, Lomax, and Cunningham. The Seahawks would not reach the playoffs again after Krieg's departure until Paul Allen bought the team and Mike Holmgren took over as head coach in 1999. But Krieg was Kryptonite for southpaw quarterbacks, and he had one last quarterback controversy left in him. This year that backwards discussion is centered around former Pittsburgh signal-caller, Kenny Pickett. Career Notes. When that remedy failed to avert a four-game losing streak, Knox gave Krieg another chance. OK, the surprise game-opening bomb was a pretty standard tactic for run-oriented playcallers. Consequently, inconsistency again plagued Krieg. They werent small either. One footnote: Gale Gilbert has one other distinction other than being awful - being on the roster for five straight Super Bowl losses. Moreover, his steady play helped the Seahawks eliminate the reigning Super Bowl champion Raiders in a wild card showdown in the Kingdome. The Lions went 5-2 down the stretch. ", We have come to the 1987 players strike. Krieg is now a motivational speaker and real estate investor as of 2021. It's a matter of doing what's right (for the team). [4] He and Dave Kraayeveld (who also played for the Seahawks) are the only NFL players to have attended Milton College.[5]. Bizarrely, Seattle (6-10 in 1981) handed the 10-5-1 Jets their only two losses of the 1981 season after New York's 0-3 start. But I guess his tinier hands matter more, somewhere, apparently. That season, Seattle had a Sunday Night and Monday Night game in back to back weeks, both of which Stouffer started. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com. WebCheckout the latest stats for Dave Krieg. See Photos. Learn how and when to remove this template message, their fourth straight Super Bowl appearance, "Milton's Krieg bets a chance, leads Seahawks to victory", "Warm welcome awaits Milton's own Dave Krieg", "Seattle's new Pilot shoots down Jets, 27-23", Seahawks/NFL: 'Mudbone' embodied Hawks' grit, "CNNSI.com - NFL Football - Say It Ain't So: Seattle Seahawks - Tuesday July 17, 2001 09:01 AM", PRO FOOTBALL;Abrasive Ryan Discovers It's a Desert Out There New York Times, CNN/SI NFL Football Six starting QBs injured in NFL's first week Sunday September 06, 1998 10:20 PM, CNN/SI Football NFL Recap (Jacksonville-Tennessee) September 27, 1998, "Dave Krieg officially ends his career | CBC News", "Seahawks Legend Dave Krieg Raises 12 Flag at Space Needle", NFL quarterbacks with a perfect passer rating game, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dave_Krieg&oldid=1142492403, Players of American football from Wisconsin, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Articles that may contain original research from November 2016, All articles that may contain original research, NFL player missing current team parameter, Infobox NFL biography articles with old NFL.com URL, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2021, Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, One of three quarterbacks to record at least 20,000 yards, 169 touchdowns, and 57 wins as a starter in the 1980's, joining hall of famers Dan Marino and Joe Montana, Holds NFL record for most seasons in career having played every play at QB in a year (3), Holds Seahawks record for most games with 400 or more yards passing (4), Led three different franchises to the playoffs (, Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 2 March 2023, at 18:14. I had forgotten the Rams play, that's got to be one of the greatest plays in history. [32], Dave Krieg finished his career with the Tennessee Oilers, backing up the seldom-injured Steve McNair in 1997 and 1998. .or just me??? BackCAST 2023: Is Zach Charbonnet Overrated? WebDave Krieg As a professional athlete, he has represented various famous NFL teams like- Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, Detriot Lions, Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears , I remember reading in the Super Bowl 16 program (the first Super Bowl program my father bought for me as a kid; the 1981 season was also the first NFL season I followed closely), which always includes a season in review section on a week by week basis, that after the Seahawks won their second meeting with the Jets in the 1981 season that of their 34 wins in franchise history up to that point, 6 of them were against the Jets. "John Elway is a fellow who can really drill the ball Dave's arm probably isn't as strong but he gets the ball there and he's right on target, and that's the most important thing, isn't it?". https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-scouting-combine-patrick-mahomes-tom-brady-kenny-pickett, Tom Brady, Patriots/Buccaneers (9.375 inches). Our final Legends of DVOA installment looks at the two-decade career of Dave Krieg, a They were so bad I couldn't even win with them on Madden. He wouldn't make his retirement official until 2000 after no takers emerged for his services. I think I remember reading once that Montana got his first start over Deberg because Deberg, otherwise healthy, had laryngitis and could not call plays. And he wasn't a 26-year-old with a big contract. In his 19-year NFL career, Krieg played for the Seahawks (19801991), Kansas City Chiefs (19921993), Detroit Lions (1994), Arizona Cardinals (1995), Chicago Bears (1996), and Tennessee Oilers (19971998). The Seahawks were considered by many to be the preseason AFC favorites in 1987, but the Seahawks reverted to their more inconsistent form and ended up sneaking into the playoffs and losing in the wild-card round. [24] Despite having an outstanding defense in 1992, their overall record of 214 (.125) remains the worst in franchise history. Romo, on the other hand, was flashier and more gifted than Krieg. Scroll down on this page to "A Good Walkthrough Spoiled. Krieg made a handful of spot starts, then was forced into the lineup when Montana was injured against the Bills in the AFC Championship Game. Dave was lots of fun (along with some gnashing of teeth). Despite a brief midseason slump, Krieg played more consistently during the strike-shortened 1987 season. *DeBerg traded to the Broncos shortly before the 1981 season; Reeves was in his first year as the Broncos head coach. All that makes it even more amazing the Seahawks were able to get a first round pick for him from the Bears! But when Zorn suffered a broken ankle in 1981, Patera surprised everyoneincluding Kriegby naming Krieg the starter. Given the litany of stars who have entered the league since Carr started his professional career in 2014, it can be easy to forget this Raiders mainstay.