Dust cleaners can be stored in a cabinet, shelf, or closet near the floorthese places are best as they have limited exposure to sunlight or heat sources. Homemade spray glue Make your own spray baste glue I am in the process of string piecing a bunch of quilt blocks, and I decided to use up some scrap batting to make the blocks. I've had such a positive response to this homemade concoction, that I've created a FREE download for you with the recipe to make it as well as tips for the Multi-Purpose Quilt Spray. Basting Spray OR wash-away glue stick OR straight pins Rotary cutter See-through cutting ruler Thin (preferably see-through) pressing cloth or large piece of scrap quilting, Read More How to Sew Crazy T-Shirt Quilt BlocksContinue, I hear from lots of New Quilters readers who want to learn more easy free-motion quilting designs. salt 1 cup rubbing alcohol Watch the video below or on my Youtube channel to see how to combine all these basic ingredients to create one fantastic quilt basting spray. Subscribe to my Youtube channelto receive automatic notifications when new videos are posted. But definitely wash your quilt when you are done quilting. Use masking tape to tape the fabric to the floor, starting at the corners and taping all around the outside edge. It is CRUCIAL that the baste be completely dry or it will still be sticky/ gunky/ goopy. Tape all sides of the backing to the floor, making sure to smooth out all of the wrinkles. Needs to dry before quilting (challenging if you're on a tight deadline or don't have a pet/kid/chaos free space to let it sit);alcohol stinks (make sure you have at least some air circulation);you have to remember to make it several hours before you need it so it has time to cool; I don't know if it would work for wall basting because the moisture would add a lot of weight. Lay the quilt backing fabric on a clean hard floor, right side down. 1 cup rubbing alcohol (update: Vodka works too and makes the spray odorless! Easily prepare an economical homemade basting spray. Continue spraying the backing and smoothing the batting until the whole batting layer is adhered to the backing. Most of us have experimented with mixing seeds, nuts, dried fruit, and even other grains into bread dough. As for the top, is it possible for you to soak it in water with a little washing machine detergent mixed in, then hang to dry and press? Theyre also easy to make, which makes them a great option if youre on a budget. Shake the flour and water until it's combined well. Thats what I use. Smooth until there arent any wrinkles left. If you are using a content blocker, check to see that you have not globally turned off Javascript. If you like what you see, please share my videos with your fellow creatives. Mine is basting. These include: All three say they are odorless, colorless, and repositionable. Glue the top to the batting in the same way. Combine 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a spray bottle. Required fields are marked *. I found this recipe at California Quilting and found that it works very well (thanks, Janet!). This tutorial includes a spray starch recipe and step-by-step instructions. You need to use dry and damp wipes. Shake well to mix. Amanda has experience in various industries, from nonprofits to startups to lifestyle brands. Step 6: Fold back half of the quilt top and spray with baste. Odorless and colorless and will not gum up your needle! Step 5: Spread the quilt top across the batting, making sure the batting and backing extend beyond the top on all sides. Finally, place the other piece of cloth on top of the adhesive and press it down. Heres a review of its advantages and disadvantages, followed by step-by-step instructions for spray basting on a wall, the floor, or a table top. When the water and salt boils, turn down to a gentle boil and add flour and water. Reviews on the other blogs advise against letting a quilt sit too long after being basted with this method (like, don't let it sit months before you quilt and wash it) because one or two ladies found that mold grew after several months. Nancy McNally is passionate about every aspect of quilting -- designing, piecing, quilting and binding. We recommend our users to update the browser. Watch the video below or on my Youtube channel to see how to combine all these basic ingredients to create one fantastic quilt basting spray. You can baste on a wall, on the floor, or on a table. You can also click on the Chatterbox Quilts logo in the lower right corner on the video itself to subscribe. If the wipes are too wet, they will leave too much moisture on your furniture or flooring surface. Thats how I felt when I came back to my quilting room after spending most of the holidays away from my sewing machine. I have never once been successful at pin or thread basting a quilt. In a separate container, pour in your flour and your additional cup of water. Shake well to combine ingredients. Basically move the noodles only as much as needed and make sure to smoothly put them on the noodles. I'm looking forward to chatting with you there. Your email address will not be published. It's not trimmed or bound yet, but you can see it turned out pretty good. Another review said that her interfacing came off when using this baste. Spray-baste quilt layers without the vapors of aerosol sprays. Cook on medium-ish until the mixture thickens like gravy (stir it so it doesn't stick!). As promised, I'm here today to talk about Homemade Spray Baste! If you have turned it off manually in your browser, please enable it to better experience this site. There are no pins, stitches, or tacks to remove while you quilt. Trade precious dollars for a little patience and use this easy, cheap, and effective homemade spray baste! All that to say, I'm not sure this was the best test project, and I think the flaws were with the quilt top, not the baste. Take the quilt down from the wall. Spray basting is horrible. spray baste removal. Its essential to do your spray basting only in a well ventilated area. It was first published on California Quilting, then Chatterbox Quilts made a video tutorial as well. Topping bread dough with seeds and grains is a simple and effective way to increase the nutrition, flavor, and texture in a baked loaf of bread. A dowel or a rod or a flat board is slipped through the tube, then suspended from nails or screws on the wall. Lightly spray one half of the backing with basting spray. It is important to store your dusting spray in a dry, cool place. 3 cups water 1 teaspoon salt 3 heaping tablespoons flour 1 cup rubbing alcohol (or vodka) clean spray bottle (I bought one for about $3 in the cleaning section at target; a well rinsed Best Press bottle would probably work, too) Combine 2 cups water and 1 tsp salt in a pot and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, combine 1 cup water and 3 heaping tablespoons flour in a jar or well sealed tupperware, and shake to mix. The top of my quilt is all sticky,my machine needle is sticky & I had so much glue on my hands. What Wipes Should You Use With This DIY Dust Cleaner? Cover the area around the quilt to protect against overspray. Spray-baste quilt layers without the vapors of aerosol sprays. (They both just need to be a few inches larger on all sides than the quilt top.) To get your own copy of this valuable information, fill in the information below. Go to https://bit.ly/2lgvCBC for the FREE recipe and instructions download. JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST to get FREE quilting information from Chatterbox Quilts: https://www.chatterboxquilts.com/emails. Want to learn how to free motion quilt? Prime your spray bottle well. However, I still think I had fewer wrinkles while quilting with this one than I did with the other three like it, and I used store bought baste for those. 505 costs more but does a much better job. Fold down the section of quilt top, press it down and smooth it out, and repeat. I would recommend testing a swatch before basting a quilt if you are concerned, though. I would highly recommend at least TRYING this baste, even if you have space limitations. I tend to agree, I really don't starch either..But I do think it is a case of "to each their own".what works for one may not work for anotherand the most important rule in quilting (IMHO) there are NO rules. How do you make a substitute for cooking spray? Lightly spray the batting with basting spray and smooth the quilt top on, right side facing you, the same way you did the batting. 2023 String & Story | Site Design by Conquer the Digital Empire, FREE! Just a quick blogpost today about the Multi-Purpose Quilt Spray - or as it was formerly known - the Homemade Quilt Basting Spray. If you are using a content blocker, check to see that you have not globally turned off Javascript. Its certainly not perfect, but I still prefer it to pin basting or hand basting with needle and thread. I never had any pleats or wrinkles in my quilts the whole time, and it washed out like a dream. I liked them the best so far but I decided to try the homemade basting spray. But spray basting isnt perfect. Start with 10 squares from a fabric layer cake collection (or, Read More Pinwheel Layer Cake Baby QuiltContinue, The Windmill quilt block is an easy block made by arranging four Rail Fence blocks into a larger block that looks like you guessed it the turning blades of a windmill. Here's the recipe: 3 cups water (divided into 2 cups and 1 cup). Get your FREE printable download so you can make your own Multi-Purpose Quilt Spray. Homemade basting spray Has anyone here ever used hairspray or starch or watered down school glue to baste their quilt? Perfection is not required! Add all ingredients to a spray bottle and mix well. Container to shake flour and water in. I start quilting in the center and work my way out from there to the sides and top and bottom. Align the fold with the center of the backing fabric, then unfold and smooth the batting onto sprayed side of the backing, working from the center out to the edges. I'm not planning to buy aerosol baste again any time soon. Let it cool while you cook dinner and eat, then it should be ready about the time you're ready to settle into quilting for the night. Does it matter if everything is glued in place? I had to clean my needles with 100% acetone to get the spray off my needles. Thank you, Instructor, Lecturer, Designer and Quilt Maker. ), clean spray bottle (I bought one for about $3 in the cleaning section at Target; a well rinsed Best Press bottle would probably work, too). And the reason we have it in fourth place is that it has a short staying power compared to the rest of the sprays in this review. Thank you. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer). I like Pellon 911FF, but there are also good interfacings available from Thermoweb, June Tailor, and other manufacturers. Your browser has turned off or is blocking Javascript. On the bright side, unlike other basting sprays, you do not need to wash Dritz out. Step 4: Flip the batting and backing over so the backing is against the design wall (this is where you may want pins to help hold your sandwich in place). Leave 1-2 margin of batting and backing around the whole quilt top. If the quilt is large, fold back a section 9-12 inches wide. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -HAVE QUESTIONS? Stretch the fabric so it is smooth and taut, but not so tight that it distorts the shape. Smooth out the quilt top and get out any wrinkles. I have a long arm now, so I baste much less, but this is still my go-to when I quilt on my domestic machine), Very cheap (I estimate about $0.75 per batch, and I basted a 80x80 quilt, several swatches, a mug rug, and I still have some left); Uses household ingredients; Relatively non-toxic; effective; the time related "downsides" are mostly idle time, so you an go piece your next quilt while the baste cools or dries. No spray required-she uses simple thread basting. I glued the batting to the backing, and this is the glue I used. 505 Spray and Fix and Sullivans also say they are acid-free. I love that I can type in a topic and get helpful tutorials. If there are wrinkles you cant get out, pull the batting up and smooth down again. Ive also had bad experiences with the spray from Sullivans, which is why I now only use 505 Spray & Fix for basting. I use a large sheet of plastic clamped to my craft table instead of a sheet or newspaper. I think I'll give the Elmer's a try. Spray the other half of the backing fabric, then smooth the second half of the batting into place. To make a beer brisket spritz, mix one 12-ounce bottle of beer with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1/4 cup of water. I used to use June Tailor spray baste but they have changed the formula and now it is extremely smelly and does not spray near as well. And I did notice that sometimes the spray gets globby, so I wipe the nozzle just like spray paint when I finish. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases from links that you may find on the Chatterbox Quilts website. A can of adhesive spray, a quilt, and two pieces of fabric are required. It's much more economical than buying temporary spray adhesive and much easier on your fingers than pinning. I need to finish this & its not my best work !!!!!! clean spray bottle (I bought one for about $3 in the cleaning section at target; a well rinsed Best Press bottle would probably work, too). non-reactive surfaces. Align the fold with the center of the backing fabric, then unfold and smooth the batting onto sprayed side of the backing, working from the center out to the edges. Thanks for the link. After a special trip for Vodka (I don't drink), buying a spray bottle, and finding a jar (peaches from Costco) for the left overs, I was ready to go. Lightly spray the exposed section of the backing fabric with quilt basting spray, then smooth the batting down onto the backing fabric. They should be roughly the same size. I stopped using June Tailor basting spray some time ago when it left marks all over a quit which wouldnt wash out. But I hate to see any piece of fabric go to waste. Lightly spray one the backing with basting spray. Re: Homemade Quilt Basting Spray I doubt that I would use something like this, because of the 'wetness' of it, and the fact that you have to iron it, for it to dry and adhere. They work, butthey are a pain. Trim away any excess batting and backing fabric to reduce bulk while quilting. String and Story Homemade Basting Spray (requires cooking) ChatterBox Quilts How to make homemade spray (requires cooking) and how to lay out the quilt for basting. If you do this, fold the batting into quarters and unfold it a quarter at a time onto the sprayed sections. Works great! Use non-reactive cups and surfaces. There are several major brands of basting spray that can be found at quilt stores, big-box fabric stores, or craft stores. The June Tailor spray is only recommended for quilts, not for applique, and for 100% cotton fabric and batting. What changes would you make?