( 27 ), Power Steering Pulley, Serpentine, 6-Groove, Aluminum, Polished, .664 in. Come join the discussion about performance, bulletproofing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Simple Simple machines are single, mechanical devices that help improve the daily life of humans by allowing them to work faster, easier, and more efficiently. You can post now and register later. LMR has you covered with this power steering pump pulley! Make sure to use a torque wrench to ensure that theyre tightened to the correct specifications. Depending on the exact pulley tool being used, you'll likely need at least 4-5 inches in front of the pulley for the tool, plus some free space to rotate a wrench. Step 13: Fill and prime the power steering fluid. The installer has a handle that is used to rotate the tool, and a guide that helps guide the installer onto the shaft of the pump. Yes, there are two special tools that you can rent, borrow, or purchase that can be used to remove and install the interference pulley to the Saginaw pump. Offset affects the scrub radius of the steering and it is advisable to stay within the limits allowed by the vehicle manufacturer. Step 6: Remove the used power steering pump pulley. The wheel size is the diameter of the wheel, in inches, not counting the tire. If there are multiple bolts holding the pulley in place, then things can get a little tricky. Can You Use Prestone Power Steering Fluid In A Honda, How Do You Change the Power Steering Fluid, How Long Can You Drive Without Power Steering Fluid. Reinstall any other parts you had to remove initially in the opposite order you removed them. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. YourMechanics technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. Copyright 2023 by AUTOSALES, INCORPORATED LEARN MORE. Item #LRS-3674P Sale Price: $35.99 Everyday Low Price: $39.99 You Save 10.00 % ($4.00) In Stock Ships tomorrow! O.D., Chevy, Press Fit, Each, 4.22 out of 5 stars Weve made finding and staying in touch with car information easy and fast. Manufacturers approve up to a 1% variance in tolerance to pass wheels during inspection. I installed the pulley with the press I used my old pulley the last time. Youll want to press down slowly and evenly on the power steering pulley. ), Insertthe newbearinginto place insideofthe newpulleysonit comes flushwiththe outsideedge as well. How tight should your power steering belt be? This pulley is what helps to give your cars steering system the power it needs to function. If tires are fitted which are significantly wider than those specified by the manufacturer, a compromise may have to be adopted whereby a wheel with less offset is used to prevent the tire rubbing on the suspension. Here I show how to remove and install a pressed on power steering pump pulley. As a result of its durability and ease of use, it is an ideal pulley remover for retail settings. Solutions? This tool is designed to remove and install the power steering pulleys without damaging them. First, check the pulley for any damage. ( 4 ), Estimated Ship Date: DynoCar.org shall not be liable for any informational error or for any action taken in reliance on information contained herein. Step 2: Remove the engine cover and ancillary parts. Fingers Crossed Shazaaam! This guide will teach you how to press on a power steering pulley if it is stuck. The bearings allow the pulley to rotate freely on the shaft, and over time they can wear down from use and age. If youre still having trouble, consult a professional mechanic for help. You cannot paste images directly. ( 5 ), Estimated Ship Date: What Causes Power Steering Pulley to Wobble? Nov 13, 2018. Power Steering Pulley Puller set (to remove and attach the pulley). If this does not fix the problem, you may need to replace the power steering pump itself. This tool is designed specifically for pressing on power steering pump pulleys and is available at most auto parts stores. The far end of the alignmnet tool rests on the crankshaft pulley, and the near end is on the power steering pulley. An over-tightened timing belt can ruin any pulley bearing it is connected with. Power Steering Pulley - Press-On. This opening helps to center the wheel to the hub. TAKE some measurements & look at it from more than one angle to see differences.. Make sure you have the right brackets & pulleys.. How far to press on power steering pulley, Ever heard of a spacer for the P/S pump but theres one for the water pump. Secure the pump to the engine block by screwing bolts through the bracket to the block. Always refer to the tool manufacturer's recommended steps. 2. Powered by Invision Community, 1970 Power Steering Pump Pulley Installation, Hydropower Plant Control Room Operator. 1982-1993 Mustang Power Steering Pump Pulley 5.0. Terms of Use | Privacy and Security | Site Accessibility Bore, Chevy, Each, 4.25 out of 5 stars ( 8 ), Power Steering Pulley, GM Type 2, TC Series, Underdrive, Serpentine, Billet Aluminum, Black Powdercoated, 5.500 in. (see attached) I can't get the pulley to go on far enough to get any threads to protrude the the . Saginaw Press-Fit Power Steering Pumps; GM Type 2 Remote Reservoir Power Steering Pumps; Ford Power Steering Pumps; Billet Power Steering Pumps; . ( 11 ), Power Steering Pulley, Saginaw, V-belt Style, 1-groove, Steel, Chrome, 5.80 in. Remove the power steering hose from the pulley bracket (it may have clamps).5. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. The power steering pump is what provides the hydraulic pressure that helps turn the wheels.Most people dont know how far to press on the power steering pulley. How far to press on power steering pulley. He managed to not get any fluids anywhere and picked up anything and everything he had essentially created while working on my truck and did the job right the first time. Ships In a Few Days. JavaScript is disabled. Disconnect the battery.2. O.D., 0.660 in. To do this, youll need a power steering pulley press tool. Replace the wheel, power steering hose, and clamps. Apply lubricant on the pump and the inside of the pulley with extreme pressure lubricant. How to Fix a Loose Gear Shifter Automatic, How Can You Prepare for And Pass Roadside Inspection, How to Start Your Own Land Clearing Business, How to Start a Trucking Company in Nevada, How to Wire Running Lights on Tow Mirrors, It is usually at the front of the engine, on the drivers side, Inspect the power steering pump pulley for cracks or other damage, If there is any damage, replace the pulley, Use a wrench to loosen the bolt that secures the power steering pump pulley to the shaft, Pull the pulley off of the shaft and inspect the bearings inside of it, If they are damaged, replace them with new bearings. There are a few ways to press on a power steering pump pulley: 1. If not, 3/8 in. Once those are removed, the entire assembly should come right off. Sometimes, the problem is simply that the bolts have come loose and need to be tightened. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. The photo below shows three wheels with 2", 3", & 4" backspace. If the pump is still mounted on the engine or accessory drive, we recommend clearing as much space around the pulley as possible. If I am not mistaken, the power steering pulley is a press on like most GM's so, if thats the case, a pump rebuild would be the only way to replace bearings. Here are instructions on how to press on a power steering pulley: When it comes time to replace your power steering pulley, dont be afraid to get help! Remove the tool and spin the pulley to make sure it is properly aligned and spins freely. Alignthepress tooldriver shaftwith thenewbearingandcarefullyslide itovertheringgrooveandinto positiononthenewbearinguntilit bottomsout. ( 3 ), Power Steering Pulley, Saginaw, V-belt Style, 1-groove, 0.750 in. If your car has power steering, then you have a power steering pulley. Then, reduce the tension on the pulley until it is flat with the crankshaft. Information contained herein is for informational purposes only, and that you should consult with a qualified mechanic or other professional to verify the accuracy of any information. This pressure is applied to the hydraulic fluid inside the lines that connects the pump to the steering gear box. 5.0 Resto has these power steering pump pulleys made to the exact OE dimensions but made from durable steel construction, unlike your factory plastic pulley. If youre experiencing any of these symptoms, it might be time to take your car in for servicing.When you replace a power steering pulley, theres a good chance that youll need to tighten the mounting bolts. (of course not) I'm going to try to put the pump in the freezer in the morning and bring my torch over to heat the pulley core and see if that makes a difference and I can tap it on far enough to let the retaining nut push it the rest of the way in, but I'm also worried about stripping out the flimsy retaining nut. First, place the power steering pump in a vice on a work bench. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair. May 22, 2023 They don't give any detail on how to install the pulley. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Can you over tighten a power steering pulley? If that doesnt work, you may need to replace the pulley. Usually there are two or three bolts that need to be removed. If your car has power steering, then you have a power steering pulley. DynoCar is the best place to find information on all things cars, whether it be a car buying guide or how to change your oil. HA! Looking at it, I do not see how you are supposed to remove it. This is a common problem that can occur when the belt has broken or the pulley has become seized up. I'm thinking the ones with the woodruff key are supposed to slide on to the shaft effortlessly at least enough until you can get the nut started and press it on the rest of the way with the nut while holding the pulley with my Handy Dandy Pulley Holder Tool! Your previous content has been restored. Shut off the motor and refill the power steering fluid reservoir. How to Buy Good Quality Power Steering Fluid, How to Buy a Good Quality Power Steering Hose, Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Power Steering Pump, Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Pitman Arm Shaft Seal, The Mechanics of Cars: Simple Machines in Automobiles, How to Replace a Power Steering Fluid Reservoir, my serpintine belt snaped, i noticed the power steering pulley was bent i re placed it but am not sure if the pulley should spin, Replacement power steering drive belt or serpentine belt, Safety equipment (safety glasses and plastic or rubber gloves). An over-tightened timing belt can ruin any pulley bearing it is connected with. Step 11: Install the new power steering pump, pulley and belt. HOT/COLD works often! *#_*&#*&$&)*$)*&$@*&)(*_!@!! ) Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. It was usually located near the stream of power steering fluid so that it would pick up any small metallic wear particles that were being flushed through the system. 6 lug wheels are measured like the 4 lug wheels. Go Figure Well I guess you can use the nut to press on the pulley according to the Service Manual. You will need a socket and ratchet to tighten the bolts. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Roush is a registered trademark of Roush Enterprises Inc. Eaton is a trademark of the Eaton Corporation. *exclusions apply, Results 1 - 25 Dodge Grand Caravan V6-3.3L - Power Steering Pump Pulley - Bonita Springs, Florida, Best mechanic I have had the pleasure of working on my car. ( 6 ), Power Steering Pulley, Saginaw, 6-Groove Serpentine Style, Billet Aluminum, Black, 6 in. 5. Here are a few tips and tricks:1. Thats all there is to tightening a power steering pulley! These lines will include supply lines to the reservoir and return lines from the gear box. A positive offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the outside edge of the wheel; a negative offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the inside edge of the wheel. Attach the pulley removal tool to the pulley. Saginaw OEM power steering systems always had a small, powerful, round magnet located in the pump reservoir. Attach all hydraulic lines to the new power steering pump (including the bottom supply line). FYI - I replaced water pump and serp belt approx. By following these steps, you can free the pulley and avoid costly repairs. As the pulley is driven by this belt and begins to spin, it turns an input shaft inside the pump which creates pressure inside of the pump's housing. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 67 and 68 short water pump pulleys were made in low perf narrow groove and Z/28 BB high perf deep groove sets. Then, into the pump shaft, insert the nut, screw, and bolts. Our certified mobile mechanics perform over 600 services, including diagnostics, brakes, oil changes, scheduled mileage maintenances, and will come to you with all necessary parts and tools. ( 9 ), Power Steering Pump Pulley, New Power Steering Pump Pulley, 5-Groove Serpentine, Steel, Black, Each, Power Steering Pulley, Serpentine, 6-groove, Steel, Black, 6.700 in. never seen anyone say the pulley is a once and done item, probally the wrong pump, ford used these since the 80s, so it is easy for them to get mixed up(there are few difference sizes on the shaft if memory recalls), 2002 F250 w/e99 7.3/JW Tow master 4r100 2, if ford had intended this as the norm it would be embossed on the pulley DO NOT REUSE. Anti-Seize is a good lubricant to use for this step. Other problems that can be confused with power steering pump failure include a stretched, worn or broken serpentine belt, low power steering fluid and damaged/seized pulley bearings (the pulley that operates the . If there is no drive belt on the pulley that is on the power steering pump, you should be able to turn the power steering pump pulley freely and easily by hand. If the vehicle drives smoothly and you don't hear any sounds, the installation was completed correctly. 1) Align the Power Steering pulley to the other pulley assemblies on the vehicle. ( 8 ), Power Steering Pulley, Saginaw, V-belt Style, 2-groove, Steel, Black Powdercoated, 5.80 in. Power Steering Pulleys - Press fit Power Steering Pulley Attachment - Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing Departments Brands Savings Central Contact Us Help Center Wish List Order Status & Returns Welcome My Account Order Status Wish List Savings Central Shop by Brand Shop Your Passion Shop Your Passion Truck / SUV Jeep This measurement is the backspace. I clamped the pump into my large shop vice, took off the nut on the shaft and tried to slide my pulley on to the shaft, ummmm no go. They don't give any detail on how to install the pulley. If your car has an automatic tensioner pulley (most newer cars do), then things are even simpler all you need to do is remove any loose debris from around the pulley (dirt, leaves, etc. Not too many other good options with what they have provided you. Here are a few tips and tricks: 1. Power Steering Pulley, V-Belt, 1-Groove, Aluminum, Polished, .664 in. With most vehicles, it is easy to gain access to the power steering pump pulley, but some require you to remove a few components, including the engine covers above and below the engine, the radiator fan shroud and radiator fan, the serpentine belt, and the alternator or AC unit. We have you covered!If you've pulled off your power steering pump pulley and broken or damaged it in the process, don't worry! There are three bolts that hold the pulley in place. cess, don't worry! This will help prevent any damage to your transmission.2. If you have an automatic transmission, youll want to put your foot on the brake pedal and shift into neutral before pressing on the power steering pulley. Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST. 8/29/2012. Well the pulley flew off the power steering pump. If the pulley (shaft) does not turn, that means that something within the power steering pump has broken or seized. Bolt patterns can be 4, 5, 6, or 8 lug holes. ( 1 ), Power Steering Pulley, CBR/TC, Underdrive, Serpentine, Billet Aluminum, Black, 4.500 in. Its diameter is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and varies in size depending on vehicle application. I'm about to pull it out of the freezer, I hope it doesn't warm up too much from the walk to the shop from the freezer. Website content, text, & images Copyright 2023 LMR.com - All Rights Reserved. Each replacement power steering pump pulley is quality tested to ensure trouble-free performance and durability.______________________________________________________*Shop*82-93 Fox Body Mustang power steering pump pulley 5.0:https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3674P/power-steerin-pump-pulley-mustang-82-9379-93 Fox Body Mustang Steering Pumps:https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Steering-Components#1024885-93 Fox Body Mustang power steering bracket:https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9998926/50resto-mustang-power-steering-bracket-79-93-5-085-93 Mustang power steering pump retaining bolts:https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9998926HWDK/85-93-mustang-power-steering-pump-bolts______________________________________________________*Watch*How To Remove \u0026 Install Power Steering Pump | Fox Body Mustang (79-93)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxkXZgweHMHow To Flush And Bleed Power Steering Fluid System:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2hbJ-wfo0______________________________________________________YouTube: https://latemodelres.to/youtube-subscribeFacebook: http://www.facebook.com/latemodelrestoInstagram: http://instagram.com/latemodelrestoTikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@latemodelresto#LMR #50resto #FoxBody______________________________________________________Use of this video is subject to the terms as set forth in our LMR Install Video Disclaimer | https://lmr.com/page/lmr-install-video-disclaimer O.D., Chevy, Press Fit, Each, 4.31 out of 5 stars The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. mark9207 November 10, 2011, 12:46am #3. I just did this, and the screw I used was one of the bottom ones that hold the alternator on (Im saying that to make sure you have the correct size and thread bolt). If this happens, youll need to replace the pulley. My truck is like my child and I don't trust anyone really to be left alone with it whether it's under the hood or driving down the road, but with Joe's perfectionism and knowledge and patience with me as a customer that I would trust to handle anything to do with my 4runner without hesitation. 94-98 7.3L General Powerstroke Discussion. The power steering pulley is an important part of the power steering system, and it helps to keep the vehicle moving in a straight line. Anytime you install a new power steering pump and pulley, you need to install a new belt. This will help prevent any damage to your transmission. Use a pulley-removal tool. On Amazon:*POWER STEERING PULLER SET: https://amzn.to/2RTilmi*BEARING SPLITTER/PULLER SET: https://amzn.to/2RQGslnEveryone makes mistakes. My Chrome Power steering pump arrived and the old brackets fit perfectly. Anti-Seize is a good lubricant to use for this step. O.D., Chevy, Press Fit, Each, 4.11 out of 5 stars If your car has power steering, then you have a power steering pulley. The front bolt is usually harder to get to because it is behind the belt. However, if you do have a manual assist, then you will need to put more muscle into it. Using a strap wrench (cuz there is not enough clearance on the back side of the pulley and the pump to use my Handy Dandy new Pulley Holder tool! Flat rate pricing based on labor time and parts, Trusted mechanics, rated by thousands of happy car owners, Hand-picked, community-rated professionals, Over 25,000 topics, from beginner tips to technical guides, Check cars for recalls, common issues & maintenance costs, Optimize fleet uptime and compliance via mobile vehicle repairs, Partner with us to simplify and scale fleet maintenance. If you're replacing, or even servicing your power steering pump, it's highly recommended to replace the pulley at the same time. JIML82. Film at 11:00 You young fellas won't get that! Make sure you place a drip pan under the vehicle before attempting this step as power steering fluid will drain. Never miss a sale on new parts, tools, and more! Once you feel resistance, back off just a bit so that youre not putting too much strain on the system. DynoCar.org shall not be liable for any informational error or for any action taken in reliance on information contained herein. Power Steering Parts Part Power Steering Pump Pulleys Speedway Motors | #91038809 Black Single Groove Power Steering Pulley, Chevy (20) $34.99 /each Add to Cart Speedway Motors | #91038808 Black Double Groove Power Steering Pulley, Chevy (21) $39.99 /each Add to Cart Bills Hot Rod Co | #91668033 bing November 9, 2011, 11:12pm #2. 99.5 f250 7.3 4x4 295k FF 160/30, PHP Hydra, S&B, 4" Exhaust, Van Turbo w/Riffraff Billet Wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built trans, 08 Tow Mirrors, Trucool Max. Landan show you how to remove and install a power steering pump pulley! Billet Specialties power steering pulleys are CNC machined from forged . Step 10: Test the new pulley. Yes, New Tool Day! Please visit or 79-93 Mustang belt selection. ( 10 ), Power Steering Pulley, V-Belt, Billet Aluminum, Natural, 5 in. Yea, I think this Lares pump must be made in China or something. First, you need to make sure that you dont press on it too hard. Continue loosening the pulley until the pulley has been removed from the power steering pump. Can you over tighten a power steering belt? This pulley is an integral part of the drive system for belt-driven steering pumps. I'm pretty sure I paid like $8 for it. You can use a bolt to press the pulley on the shaft Shaft is not keyed so the press fit is the only thing that keeps it from spinning and therefore I would guess the press fit is also adequate to prevent the pulley from coming off. This is mainly due to the fact that theyre made out of high-quality materials and theyre designed with longevity in mind. So I put the woodruff key back into the pulley and with a flashlight and my spectacles on I made sure the pulley slot was lining up with the key and took a plastic mallot and gave it a couple of sharp moderate blows and got the pulley to fit over the shaft partially but it drove out the woodruff key. Using a socket and ratchet, slowly loosen the pulley while holding the pulley attachment nut with a corresponding end wrench. The strap wrench worked to hold the pulley and the nut tightened to bottom out fairly easily. if ordered today. There are many people who think that they know how to change a tire. With that being said, they generally don't last longer than 100,000 miles and pump failures at lower mileage aren't uncommon. Here are some tips on how to do it yourself:1. The purpose of the power steering pulley is to provide a pulley for the belt that turns the pump. Install the new pulley on the shaft by tightening screws or bolts and re-inserting the hose into the bracket.7. This step should always be the first thing you do when you work on any vehicle. Therefore a 185/70R14 has the same rim diameter and aspect ratio, but a smaller overall diameter and narrower tread face than the 225/70R14. Tighten bolts before proceeding to recommended torque pressure. Check out this web site they have pics & sizes of the pulleys..check out their pulley specification fit section. Over time, the bearings in the pulley can wear out, causing the pulley to wobble and eventually fail. Should I just replace the pulley or should I warranty the pump the pump was brand new in the summer. Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them. Youll need to determine which bolt is responsible for tensioning the belt typically, this will be an adjusting bolt that can be turned with a wrench. Lift the vehicle with a hydraulic lift or jacks and jack stands. Stay Updated with Emails from Summit Racing. (189), Summit Racing Power Steering Pulleys SUM-340204, Tuff Stuff Performance Power Steering Pump Pulleys 8485B, Cardone New Power Steering Pulleys 3P25160, Chevrolet Performance Power Steering Pulleys 19421325, Tuff Stuff Performance Power Steering Pump Pulleys 8486B, March Performance Power Steering Pulleys 630, Scott Drake Power Steering Pulleys B-F812, Tuff Stuff Performance Power Steering Pump Pulleys 8485A, Innovators West Power Steering Pulleys 979, Tuff Stuff Performance Power Steering Pump Pulleys 8487B, Borgeson Universal Power Steering Pulleys 801105, Billet Specialties Power Steering Pulleys 86420, Summit Racing Power Steering Pulleys SUM-340203, March Performance Power Steering Pulleys 624, PSC Underdrive Serpentine Pulley Kits PP2402. Burning smell from engine. When it comes time to replace your power steering pulley, don't be afraid to get help! How Serious Is It When a Hose Is Leaking? If youre not sure how much pressure to use, then start with light pressure and increase it until you feel resistance. How far to press on power steering pulley. The best place to go for anything Mustang related! Not sure why because I have the 5 spd auto trans. They're not very thick and don't know if it could handle the stresses of pressing the pulley the rest of the way on. The power steering pulley puller kit should consist of two half-parts that make up a split collar, a metal sleeve to retain the collar . If the pulley is not damaged, you can try tightening the bolts that hold it in place. O.D., Jeep, Each, Power Steering Pulley, Saginaw, V-belt Style, 1-groove, Steel, Black Powdercoated, 5.80 in. Open end wrench set (for use with puller set). Some auto parts stores will loan the tool sets. First, disconnect your negative battery cable to prevent any electrical issues. Bore, Ford, Each, 4.7 out of 5 stars Watch for the following symptoms if you suspect a bad or failing power steering pump pulley. Once you have your press tool, follow these steps to replace your power steering pulley: A power steering pulley installer is a tool used to install the power steering pump pulley onto the shaft of the power steering pump. YourMechanic All rights reserved. After putting the PS Pump in the freezer for about 3 hrs and heating the pulley with MAP gas for about 45 seconds the pulley fairly easily slid over the woodruff key and onto the steering pump shaft enough that I could get about 3 threads started on the nut. Finally, clean off any old grease or debris before reinstalling your new pulley. Step 5: Remove the mounting bolts on the power steering pump bracket. Power steering pump pulley removal and installation!Are you wondering how to remove the power steering pump pulley or how far to press on the power steering pulley? If youre unsure of how far to press on your power steering pulley, its always best to err on the side of caution and not press too hard. The pump pumps it, sends the power to the rack, which makes it easy to turn. When the power steering pump pulley is wearing out or has broken, it may display a few common warning signs that indicate service is needed. Is a Power Steering Pump Pulley Supposed to Be Loose? If broken, it should be replaced to ensure a seamless drive on the road. Don't forget the FREEZER trick for items with a tight fit. This pulley is an integral part of the drive system for belt-driven steering pumps. Very common for the pulleys on our trucks to back off for whatever reason. ( 13 ), Power Steering Pulley, Billet Aluminum, 5.00 in. 2. Alignment is made with the power steering pulley puller and press. I tried to put the woodruff key into the pulley but it didn't want to fit in the groove. If you want good work done and done correctly I would definitely request him. The HOT/COLD trick WORKED!!!! Clear editor. This power steering pulley puller is perfect for both professional and DIY mechanics. ( 13 ), Power Steering Pulley, Serpentine, 8-Groove, Press Fit, 6.260 in. Power steering pulleys are located at the front of your car and they help move the power from the engine to the steering wheel. This pulley is connected to the power steering rack and helps to turn the wheels. Maybe I'll get some emery cloth after the pulley hole and try to open it up a bit more, maybe the cold approach will work. (Be sureto supportthepulleywith one hand while doingthis. Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Repeat this process until the power steering fluid reservoir does not require refilling. There are also two jaws on the top of the installer that grip the sides of the pulley.