Highly recommend! Yes. There were several long stretches where we didnt paddle at all, and instead just leisurely floated along, taking it all in. It is highly unlikely that when construction of the 710 foot tall Glen Canyon Dam was begun in 1956 that there was much thought given to kayaking. Thanks for the tips! Horseshoe Bend is a unique natural wonder where the Colorado River makes a bend. Its very cold and hypothermia can set in quickly. It takes about 3 hours and 40 minutes to get there. Squeee! Hiking tours to Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon on Navajo lands are very popular. Dont miss this kayak trip through the free-flowing section of the Colorado River in Glen Canyon. Get off the beaten path! I'm glad you're here and hope you'll stay awhile! At mile 4, you can dock your kayak at the beach to the left hand side of the river and embark on a short 1.5 mile round trip hike up Waterholes Canyon. About 15 minutes in the slot canyon begins. Contact kayakthecolorado.com to set up your trip. In general, kayaking Horseshoe Bend is easy. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. We were completely blown away by the beauty of the canyon and the glass-like water of the Colorado River. . We kayaked leisurely (easy going with the current) and stopped twice to picnic/take photos; it took 4 hours (almost 5 hours including . I would have loved to do them but they were closed due to Covid when we visited. You would not be able to make it to Horseshoe Bend and back in one day (18 miles total). We used Kayak the Colorado for our outfitter. Here your captain will pull over on a sandy beach, help you get your kayaks into the water, and then youre off! Theyre labeled on this map. A normal float with a "stretch your legs" stop or two and maybe a quick swim for the kids is generally five to seven hours. It takes about 3 hours to kayak Horseshoe Bend. By clicking Accept, you consent to their use on this site. Thank you! Glen Canyon Dam. The last campsite before Lees Ferry is located at mile 6. But only a small fraction of adventurers get to experience the views from river level. The earlier you get on the water, the more you will have the canyon to yourself in the morning. The Antelope Canyon kayak trip was sponsored by Lake Powell Paddleboards and Kayaks. Located just minutes from the Lees Ferry boat launch is Lees Ferry Campground, the perfect spot to spend the night before your kayaking trip if you plan to get an early start. This was one of the best things Ive ever done or probably will ever do on a trip and I would HIGHLY recommend that you book with them (go see Horseshoe Bend from above first, and then youll appreciate seeing the ants looking down on you as you paddle.). . I saw several people in other companys less stable boats take an unintentional swim. I did it! It takes about 30 minutes to get from the Lees Ferry boat ramp to the drop-off point. I want to empower more people to take the steps to living their dreams and enjoy life on the road. The guys from Kayak Horseshoe Bend were exceptional and well prepared. The gem of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is iconic Horseshoe Bend, with its unique shape carved out of the massive rock. Send me Awesome RV Guides, How To's and Travel Tips! If youre like me, youve probably been thinking of doing this adventure for a while. Kayaking at Horseshoe Bend. Glen Canyon. About. We meet the Kayak the Colorado outfitters at Lees Ferry launch. Adventure for all ages and skill levels with half and full day whitewater rafting trips. We had a great trip with Kayak Horseshoe Bend/Lee's Ferry Anglers. They will man there own kayaks and kayak back home on ponds. If we are looking to only kayak 5-6 miles, could we be dropped off not as far down the river? We totally recommend seeing Horseshoe Bend from above. The next 2 campsites are on Horseshoe Bend with views of the teeming hordes of tourists atop the cliffs across the river. After the mountain lion took a lengthy drink, it slipped back into the bushes and out of sight. It's a backhaul service, meaning they meet you at Lee's ferry and take you upriver in a powerboat to wherever you want to start, then you paddle back at your leisure. But, as stated above, if you don't have all day, ask your boat captain for suggestions on . Although you dont need any special skills or permits to kayak Horseshoe Bend, there are still a few things to consider and logistics to plan. Because youll be paddling downriver, the entire 16 miles can be kayaked as a day trip in about 6 to 9 hours depending on the wind and current. He showed us a short trail to some petroglyphs that I wouldnt have otherwise known about. We recently used Kayak Horseshoe Bend on a family trip on the Colorado River. There are four campgrounds between Glen Canyon Dam and Horseshoe Bend at numerous points. Once again, because of its distance from Horseshoe Bend, this campsite tends to be less popular. Horseshoe Bend itself is in the park, but the parking lot is on city land. Please build a fire only in the metal rings and be sure to practice safe campfire etiquette (ie. . Its also a fantastic alternative to whitewater rafting in the Grand Canyon. . Now that I have answers, I can share some tips with you. You can buy a pass at the permit vending station upon arrival. . There is a herd of bighorn sheep that live in the area and often use the trail to climb down to the shores of the Colorado River, so keep an eye out even if you dont stop to hike! Famous sites are well worth seeing, but once you do, find lesser-known hikes, get away from the main areas for lunch, and seek hidden gems to catch sunset. How difficult is kayaking Horseshoe Bend? You can have them drop you off just upstream from Horseshoe Bend, or up closer to Glen Canyon Dam like my friends and I did. There is a gas station and convenience store about 10 minutes from Lees Ferry in Marble Canyon. Kayaking Horseshoe Bend at a Glance. . You cant miss them. I might get a little claustrophobic, but it looks like an absolutely incredible experience! The canyon is sooooo beautiful!!! Our captain (Captain Luke) was very nice and extremely knowledgeable and helpful, pointing out interesting things along our ride upriver and landmarks so we would know how far we had gone on the paddle back. You saw a mountain lion from your boat!? It has a nice selection of restaurants and accommodations for all budgets. Many of them have seen a hundred human generations rise, give off their little clamors, and perish. Kayaking Horseshoe Bend. It's not easy, but there are a few things you can do to improve your chances of beating crowds. The petroglyphs shown here are located about 1/8th of a mile hike from a beach landing just upstream from Horseshoe Bend on river left (lefthand side if youre heading downstream). (You can see it in the upper right corner of the video frame at the beginning of the video clip.) The canyon eventually reaches a fork which is a good turnaround spot. Both are all-day excursions. You can take a backhaul service (i.e. As this is Arizona, please make sure you check on fire restrictions ahead of time to find out if youre allowed to have one! However, after the pandemic hit and we embarked on a permanent road trip, we found ourselves living in southern Utah for several months. . I get claustrophobic in tight spaces but this canyon was fineso beautiful. within walking distance of downtown that sleeps 10, 12 Best Short & Easy Hikes in Yosemite National Park, The Wave Arizona Lottery: Winning a Permit in 2023, Unforgettable Yellowstone Glamping: Yellowstone Tipis, Telluride Camping Guide + 10 Epic Campsites Near Telluride, 7 Spectacular Waterfalls in Costa Rica You Need to See, Alyeska Hideaway | Charming Log Cabins in Alaska, Essential Guide to the 2023 National Parks Annual Pass, Fun & Unique Places to Stay in Florida: Kokomo Farms, Grewingk Glacier | Unforgettable Alaska Glacier Hike. It simply cant compare to the beauty of Horseshoe Bend and the Colorado River canyon. do not leave it unattended, make sure to put the fire out before you go to bed, etc). The day before you go come to the shop at 836 Vista Ave, Page AZ 86040, and pick up your gear after 3 pm. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. They use a numbering system that runs from 0 at the starting point (Lees Ferry) to 15 at the uppermost point (Glen Canyon Dam). Best of all, however, are the resident wild mustangs! This remote motel is surrounded by breathtaking views of the layered Navajo sandstone of Vermillion Cliffs National Monument. I bet you were glad you didnt see her when you were camping in the open! We stopped for the quarter-mile hike to the overlook at Horseshoe Bend on our way back to Page. The backhaul costs $75 per person and sit-in hardshell kayaks were $35 per day. . These cookies do not store any personal information. We do short duration floats, day floats, and arrange for people to do multiple day floats while camping on the river. It's fairly affordable to visit Horseshoe Bend. The whole hike takes about an hour. Most view it from above during a trip to Page, Arizona. For a few more amazing canyons in the Southwest to explore, visit this post. 45 minutes - 65 minutes depending on how crowded it is. A backhaul taxi to Horseshoe Bend is a motorized boat that carries people, watercraft and gear upstream from Lee's Ferry to the base of the Glen Canyon Dam, Horseshoe Bend or anywhere along the Colorado river. Ill definitely use them! Odds are youve either been to, heard of, or seen photos of Arizonas famous Horseshoe Bend, a sharp curve in the Colorado River that carves a horseshoe shape into massive red cliffs. Learn more about me and the blog. I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you click or make a purchase through any of them. It was an easy return of the gear as we could just leave it at the takeout with the outfitters at Lees Ferry. Can I camp out overnight? There are several good times to kayak Horseshoe Bend. That being said, this isnt a lazy river floating trip and youll still need to paddle so expect to finish the trip with sore arms and an aching back! Youll even have enough time to visit Horseshoe Bend fro above in the morning! From the petroglyphs, you are just around the corner from the magnificent Horseshoe Bend. Although I was new to the area and unsure about finding the dock, the guides were very communicative and helped me locate the spot. The 6-mile paddle the next morning was more of a drift back to the landing as we didnt want the amazing time to end. We also did a 2-day overnight camping trip in Glen Canyon and kayaked around the iconic Horseshoe Bend. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. In other words, you could technically bring your own kayak and put-in near Lees Ferry in the winter, but youll have to either coordinate your own vehicle shuttle or paddle upstream as well as downstream. We brought our small backpacking tent, and had no trouble fitting it in the kayak. It isnt at all necessary to camp overnight to enjoy kayaking Horseshoe Bend, but thats definitely a more leisurely way to take in the beauty of it all. Thousands of people kayak the stretch of river between Glen Canyon Dam and Lees Ferry every year with no issues. One can expect a paddle from the Petroglyph Panel drop point to take approximately 4-6 hours to paddle around Horseshoe Bend and back to the Lee's Ferry parking area. We opted for the Mile 6 campsite as we were thoroughly enjoying drifting along in the 2-mile an hour current under the 1000 feet sandstone cliffs. It was an amazing experience. If you dont have either, you can get the Glen Canyon pass in-person at the entrance to Lees Ferry or from a ranger station at Lake Powell. All the designated campgrounds and Petroglyph Beach also have campfire rings. Jennifer, it took us about two or three hours to paddle out. I'm Angelica. Make sure you have enough energy at the end of the trip to drag your boat back up the hill. Do you have any national parks on your list this summer? The short answer is NO. Any tips I missed? It was an awe inspiring trip which could have been scary but we knew we were covered with the help of KHB. If you encounter them, remember that they are wild animals and therefore, unpredictable. However, you do need either an America the Beautiful annual pass ($80) or a pass for the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area ($30). Elevation at Overlook - 4214 feet. . It might be your first chance to play piano in the desert. The Bears Den B & B is one of the nicest places in Page. Petroglyph Beach, the most popular launch point for kayaking Horseshoe Bend. The company owns the adjacent Horseshoe Bend Farm, on which it donated a 360-acre conservation easement to Conserving Carolina in 2003. . Even early spring can be cold and unpredictable weather-wise and, in particular, windy. Elevation at Trailhead - 4327 feet. Side note: this is also why we took a bit longer to finish our paddle, but we were 100% okay with that! 1.1 Miles, 1.8 Kilometers (0.8 Miles, 1.4 Kilometers inside the canyon) Elevation Change. And Lake Powell offers paddle boarding, kayaking, boat tours, and a scenic drive through backcountry roads. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. The route finding is easy and the paddling distances are reasonable. Arrive at Lees Ferry boat ramp in late afternoon or early evening. Ive been an outdoor adventure leader and educator for almost a half-century. . Yes - you can be dropped most anywhere along the river. Note that Lees Ferry has a modern bathroom and there are vault toilets at each milepost except for the Glen Canyon Dam. A backhaul service will transport your kayak up the river and then take you down, allowing you to complete the whole trip in six to nine hours, depending on the conditions. I was practically swept into the spot by a whirlpool when I was hugging the right bank to make way for a powerboat cruising upstream. If you do experience heavy winds, find a spot to pull over for awhile and see if you can wait it out. The only thing that can top this is the once-in-a-lifetime experience of sleeping at the bottom of Horseshoe Bend! This kayak adventure is about enjoying yourself. Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), How to Kayak Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River. Antelope Canyon and Glen Canyon with Horseshoe Bend are located in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Continue paddling downstream on Day 2 with a few stops to rest and explore along the way. Yes. It was a wonderful day trip from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. 300 Feet down then back up. But did you know that you can escape the crowds and experience Horseshoe Bend by kayaking on the Colorado River?! For those who want to take their time, you can opt to stay the night at a campsite directly along the river, breaking your paddle up over two days. Troy took us out and you could tell he knows his stuff. It will take 4 minimum hours to paddle back to Lee's Ferry and if you decide to stop and eat lunch or hike, groups can add that time on to the 4 hour paddle back to the dock. It was great to see where we had paddled. We did an overnight . He IS a kayaker. Do you offer kayak rentals and transportation.. Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry? In fact, we decided well go back next year and camp! In our opinion, kayaking Horseshoe Bend as an overnight trip is the best option, as you can take your time, really soak in the beauty of the canyon, and enjoy the peaceful serenity of early morning on the river, before the waters become busy with motor boats and other kayakers. Perhaps we were just tired and sunburnt by this time, but we found Waterholes Canyon to be somewhat underwhelming. My opinions are my honest assessment of the experience. Tell us your favorite kayaking trip below! However, note that some parks may not have full access due to seasonal roads or weather concerns. It may take you around 6-7 hours of paddling to complete the whole stretch of Horseshoe Bend. It takes only a few minutes to hike up to the petroglyphs. No need to pay $10 for a view of Horseshoe Bend from the top, when you can see it from the inside. Hi how far in advance would we need to book our trip if we wanted to go? For those looking for a budget option, we stayed in the Rodeway Inn that was centrally located and had a nice pool. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. The water was so perfectly still in the morning, it was beautiful! Aside from the rustic, boat-in campsites at the bottom of Horseshoe Bend, there are several campgrounds and campsites in the general area. It depends on how far up-river you go, but generally 5-8 hours. As we made an early start on the river for the kayak trip in Glen Canyon around Horseshoe Bend, we stayed near Lees ferry only 10 minutes from the put-in. . And woooowza for your hike along Antelope Canyon without the crowds. Since I have zero experience with a stand-up paddleboard, I checked to see what others had to say on this topic. You can safely expect to encounter wildlife while kayaking the Colorado River. Hi! The ancient etchings are of the bighorn sheep that frequent the cliffs across the river. Instead of going all the way up the dam, have them drop you off just upstream of Horseshoe Bend itself, at whats known as Petroglyph Beach. During both time periods specifically October through early November and late March through early May the days are warm and the nights cool. We wanted to stay in one of their sheep wagons but it didnt work out this time. Always helpful to get recommendations on kayak rental companies too. Another unique place to stay in the Vermillion Cliffs area is the Shash Dine EcoRetreat. To combine those and then pair it with more kayaking and camping would be a dream. its at the top of my bucketlist for USA travel! This was experiencing nature at its best!During our drive up the river, Terry pointed out wild horses and big horn sheep. A campsite right at the bottom of Horseshoe Bend. This unique geological wonder is located on the stretch of the Colorado River between Glen Canyon Dam and Lees Ferry. Be the first to get access to this essential guide that will help you determine your dream set-up: Motorhome, Trailer, Tent, Van. Choose the Perfect RV for you with thisFREE E-Book. Secret Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend Tour from Page, Lower Antelope Canyon/Horseshoe Bend Half Day Tour from Page, AZ, Half Day Tour of Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon from Page Arizona, Upper Antelope Canyon Admission Ticket (Antelope Canyon Navajo Tours). No matter what season you go, youll encounter far fewer people on weekdays than weekends or holidays. Because it is north of Horseshoe Bend, the campsite at mile 11 tends to be the least crowded and still offers lovely views of the canyon. Also, wear a good sun hat, slather on that sunscreen, and pack a ton of water. No special pass or permit is required to kayak this stretch of the Colorado River; however, a National Parks Pass is required for all activities in this area known as Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, which spans sections of northern Arizona and southern Utah. Since the lake is low, we had to wheel our boats down to the water over the gravel. If youre an experienced kayaker and up for a challenge, you could kayak 6 miles up river on day one, spend the night at 6-mile campground, and continue 3 miles upriver to Horseshoe Bend in the morning before heading back down river to Lees Ferry. The Colorado River current runs at about 3 mph. When travelling in this area, be aware of the different time zones. You can stay in a traditional Navajo hogan on a working farm. Alternatively, you could kayak a few miles from Lees Ferry before turning back, but youd miss the highlight of the trip: Horseshoe Bend! . . Thanks for sharing this adventure! The campsite at Horseshoe Bend is right on the beachy shore of the river, and tends to be the most crowded of the campsites along the Colorado. Leave no trace. Terry Gunn the owner, was totally agreeable to letting us use the 1 kayak we rented prior to our rescheduled float and we had a really fun day. To make things even worse, Arizona experiences monsoon season in July and August. Antelope canyon looks like another world. Iwould definitely enjoy the kayaking piece. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. #earthporn #icebergs #glacier #alaska #alaskagram #helicopterview #seward #travelgram #wheretonext, One of the most freeing, joyous feelings in the world No, permits are not required to camp along the Colorado River. The river was extremely navigable and I always felt safe. Thanks for sharing! We want to hear from you! If you could only do one kayak trip and you had younger kids (6), which would you do? The only amenities youll find at the campsites along the river are a composting toilet and a metal fire ring. A viewing platform was put in place to prevent people from getting too close due to an unfortunate act of vandalism in 2021, so please do not try to go beyond the rock wall. The vast majority of people start their day between 8am - noon. His advice is to pull over to a sand bar during a rain shower. As I floated closer I saw that it was a mountain lion taking a drink of water. We are going kayaking next week from petroglyph beach. The earlier you get on the water, the more you will have the canyon to yourself in the morning. There are several campsites along the way. During the spring and fall, you can expect cooler but generally mild temperatures, although conditions can vary and snow is possible. To find it: Keep an eye out for a massive boulder on the right side of the river causing a large whirlpool that literally pulls you back upstream. Do you happen to see it or know where its located? The hike to Horseshoe Bend overlook begins at the parking lot south of the Carl Hayden Visitor Center off US Highway 89 and takes about 40 minutes or less to trek. . . . I think they would be fine. Getting to Horseshoe Bend. This kayaking trip will put you in the bend. Take lots of water with you. We visited Horseshoe Bend from the popular viewpoint near Page in 2019, and at the time never expected wed get to see the beautiful spot again. Taryn is happiest when she's outside and always up for an adventure especially if it involves a hike, sunset, road trip, or limited cell service. Slowly floating around the bend, with nothing but the sound of birds chirping and water rippling as you soak in the stunning view of Horseshoe Bend from the Colorado River is a purely magical experience! The quality of their equipment and the knowledge and friendliness of the staff is unparalleled. Call now! Please call Kelly Outfitters for availability (48 hours ahead is preferred): 602-510-5511. But the Colorado River below the dam and its Lake Powell, became a Mecca for 'yakking individuals, families and groups. This topic probably caused more stress for me and my crew than any other. In this article, weve rounded up all the information you need to know to plan the perfect kayaking trip. Most view it from above during a trip to Page, Arizona. Get an early start to avoid afternoon winds and intense heat. Wow! Kayaking Horseshoe Bend is not only an epic adventure and the best way to skip the crowds at the wildly popular tourist attraction. View all posts by Paul. To avoid taking a backhaul you will need at least 2 days to kayak to Horseshoe Bend and back. National Park Service passes do not apply . After Waterholes Canyon, continue for another 4 miles until you arrive back at Lees Ferry. Combining two tips, if you must visit on a weekend, hit the popular sites early/late and spend peak hours at less-visited areas. This family-owned company rents kayaks, paddleboards, and packrafts in Page. . Crowds are significantly lighter Mon-Thurs. However, a kayak trip to where Lake Powell meets the bottom of Antelope Canyon is a unique way to experience Antelope without a canyon tour. The smooth undulating rock in reds and purples is like walking through a geological playhouse. . . The Glen Canyon Dam was created in 1956-1966 and holds back enough water to form Lake Powell. We use cookies to give you a personalized, relevant browsing experience. Brady, is a Captain, and all captains provide special knowledge for an adventure that fits your individual needs. We definitely recommend using the backhaul service. It looks like a beautiful kayak trip to Antelope Canyon and combined with the hike makes the perfect adventure.