Hi! I have the Santa Cecilia counter tops and tile floor that has beige, whiteish and some grey with a grayish grout. Instead, I have some solid advice. You refer to off white or cream solid backsplash tile in your recommendations. So I have to find something pattern thats similarly soft. Thanks so much. If you have very simple countertops, consider opting for a busy and exciting backsplash. Im working with some bossy granite and we are painting the cabinets a shade of white but also have to replace the floors but I dont think we will be able to find the floors to match the living area.. any tips? You can always remove them later if you choose. Transfer the focal point from the ugly granite to the backsplash. I have a bossy black and brown granite counter top(from previous owners) with a 3 1/2 inch granite piece currently serving as a back splash. Backsplash for Busy Granite (Design Tips) - Designing Idea Your email address will not be published. I would like to paint the cabinets for a quick fix until we can afford wood floors. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Small Space Design Tips to Maximize Storage and Increase Flow, you break through the sealant that has been protecting your counters for decades, you re-seal with a matte, food safe sealant. No products in the cart. If your are updating your backsplash, you've really only got one option when working with Bossy Granite- a solid color tile. This is super helpful! I used carribean green granite in my Hawaii remodel and its stunning. You have years to get it right and half the fun is in the planning and dreaming. I have baltic brown granite, shades of tan tumbled marble backsplash, and cream with gray splotches large floor tile. it must go!! Cover furniture in nearby rooms with plastic or a painter's drop cloth. Matte surfaces just look more modern and natural. We have bossy granite in mostly brown with black and flecks of gold including a 5in backsplash. Please email me if youd like to set up a time to talk. natural stone is not predictable in colour. I choose not to go for multi color tiles. I like the graniteI definitely would say goodbye to the backsplash first thing and take the single cabinet by the peninsula with it.Does look amazing with white cabinets! The kitchen is also too woodtoned for me. NEXT! We are having a pro do the work. Now Im designing my mainland house and its much harder. Here's a look at how it could look after the backsplash is redone Beautiful granite -- yes, as others have suggested, you can tone it down.Overall the kitchen does not feel "dressy" and I think with a few of the suggestions made by others above you can give this kitchen the "casual" vibe you love. For example, if you have brown countertops, brown tile floors, and wood cabinets, bring balance with a cool paint color. Have you heard this? We have the blue color way in our kitchen and it is definitely original. Any experience with that? Hello! help! I think I chose ugly granite. - Houzz We purchased 3 years ago and cabinets are a dark mocha color with darker granite. Which Backsplash Tile goes with Granite? - Maria Killam The look definitely isnt my favorite, but my bigger problem with it is that its hard to keep clean. I was wondering what a quick fix could be so it would look more modern without spending a lot of money in the mean time. Familiarity will tame the wildness, and then you can figure out how you want to dress it up, what wants emphasizing, what de-emphasizing. Hey! I said it would look dated and go out of style and I was right. What to do with busy granite - houzz.com.au Its such a dark green that it almost reads black, so if I squint I really dont mind it. Its so true that only one surface can be the boss and they all need to play nice together. taupe tiles with the same undertones as the flecks in your countertop. Let me show you honed granite in action by way of Emily A. Clarks kitchen makeover. Let me reassure you, speckling is just as gorgeous as veining. Honing removes the shine which makes it seem more minimalist and calm. Looking forward to hearing from you. Why? If you want a busy countertop design to stand out, finding a quiet, subtle backsplash tile is the best option to showcase your countertops, especially when you have unique hues or movements on it! If your granite was installed with the 5" granite backsplash on the wall-that's it. If you choose to DIY this, please do your research to ensure proper safety protocols are being followed. Neutral paint often has undertones that give it a color cast, which can work in your favor when trying to pair with yellow-toned wood floors. For a more neutral and modern look, you could try out glass tiles as a backsplash. Here is a quick and sloppy PS of the OP's pic with darker cabs, lighter backsplash and all, and lighter floor. If the same gray is in your countertop and floor, that would be a good option. If you have granite then you have a busy pattern on your countertop. If you've got granite with multiple colors and movement- That's your ONE pattern. Thanks so much for your question. If you want to install a backsplash, you would need to remove the 5 backsplash. Would you want to set up a consult? I totally agree Dana. You are saving the environment while also saving thousands of dollars with that choice. Hi Dana, a very helpful and cost saving article. Please email me through the contact form to set up a time. Buy a couple of corn meal of sandpaper; begin with 100 coarseness, in additions of 100 to 1500. We are updating our back splash with off white subway tile that matches the cabinets. My final piece of advice is to keep your flooring simple. Appliances are all very high end and less than 10 years old, so dont want to replace. That will open things up a lot too. I have your contact info when/if I need specifics. In this case, neutral tones will work best in toning down busy granite. We are going to sand down the wood floor and stain it a greige color, and we have a lot of charcoal color and beige Greige color furniture. One of my favorite color experts, Maria Kilim has coined the phrase, "Bossy Granite" and rightly so. Please email me if youd like to set up a time to talk. Floor is larger creamy tile. You could Carerra marble in a honed finish. Make sure you get the proper supplies and understand the method, following all safety protocols which I list below. If your house has the 5in granite backsplash you say not to put any backsplash above it. yeah, that BS would go fast. 5 Tips for Mixing Kitchen Countertop Materials - Houzz In other words, black is more likely to make your earthy granite look old. Muted Colors Tone Things Down. We want to remodel our kitchen. I am hoping to redo the kitchen in a few years and gut everything. How to Style Brown Granite Countertops: Ideas and Inspo Pics - Homedit I really prefer cool colors like blues and grays, so Im struggling to see how I can work with those super orange counter tops. At Granite Selection, we stock a massive selection of trending stone colors suited to all . The walls were originally painted a tan-ish color before we bought it, but the builder was told the dark walls would not sell (which we liked better), so the entire house was repainted inside with this very pale grey-blue color that just blends everything into one blah color. So many great projects wrapping up. Click here to read my tips. https://bella-tucker.com/design-services/. This is a round up post, so click on the headlines and you can read further! The particular pain point for me is the dated granite countertop that has to stay at least for now. My trim is white. So, I will ask myself. we are looking to buy a new house, and while this kitchen is beautiful, it is totally NOT to my taste. And also inspirational. Im now really excited about the kitchen! If you want black countertops for example, there are some really good black granites that come in less expensive than black quartz. Want to paint your cabinets? thanks for sharing these tips! Update! What a change! I thought I could keep my kitchen cabinets which are a cream with tobacco glaze. What color white would you recommend? Open to a contrast cabinet color ,too. My preference is white or cream subway tile. Im going to be painting the whole house in a very very light grey.. almost white. Im so glad you found this helpful!! I would neutralize the overall feel of the room as much as possible. I like the canton slate tile but not out of the question to replace or should the backsplash be replace with something lighter and more even toned? Unanimous feedback it seems. hi my granite is a amber yellow granite some light and dark browns,dark grey and white speckles my floor is dark grey ceramic tiles and white cabinets, im looking for a backsplash to match can you help me out ? Granite countertops used to be the only material people knew to choose. Help please. This is a really helpful article, though I didnt see any examples of the really, REALLY orange granite counter tops well be inheriting in the house were buying along with oat stained cabinets. (to the bottom of the microwave, behind the stove). I most likely need someone to come look at the whole thing. If you have Bossy Granite- use a solid color subway tile for your backsplash. The same shape and size tile, but in a different tone, can serve as a great contrast without becoming overwhelming. Here is kind of what it would look like with white cabinets. If youd like to set up a consult Id be happy to give you some direction. So see for yourself what a little gel and a good deal of time and patience can do for you. Love the white cabs and the blue paint! Thank you so much for this road map for updating a kitchen with bossy granite (mine is primarily brown tones). Second Rule of Design: Waiting Now Equals Beautiful Later. Thankfully we love our kitchen and chose to love/overlook our mistake. I just need some guidance because I feel frustrated. I would need to see photos. 4. We want to change the wall color for sure. There's just too much yellow in the kitchen. Yes, shouldnt be a problem. Thanks so much. Beautiful granite -- yes, as others have suggested, you can tone it down. Something just doesnt seem to go right together. Thanks for your comment! It's hard to tell from the photo if it would work but I feel like you could totally change the feel by painting the cabinets black and distressing the paint a little. It would work wonders in there! Yes!! I have Santa Cecilia counter top with cherry wood cabinets and cherry wood wood floor with a beige backsplash. Thank you. It surprisingly coordinated beautifully with the counters and made it possible to paint my kitchen BM White Dove. Painted the cabinets SW alabaster. The Scandinavian style is still well loved and that style is all about minimalist natural interiors. Have your tile installer remove and then tile all the way down to the countertop. Clean all dust and sediment from the surface of the granite. . princess sarah bint mashour bin abdulaziz al saud. Specifically, I agree that multiple patterns usually look terrible (Maria has trained me to see this). And proper testing is critical to seeing the neutral undertone and how it relates to your other finishes. As for the backsplash, I completely removed it because I dont need it. This was an extremely informative, and helpful post! This way you have glossy tiles that match the glossy granite, but the subtle earth toned (or white) tiles don't compete with the busy granite. Kristie Barnett- The Decorologist has to say about Quartz Countertops. larger tiles, no tiny ones. I like the idea of painting the cabinets a solid color but I cant find a color for the walls that I feel look good with the tumbled travertine backsplash (which is very dark color in places)as it meets the wall to the dinning room. Ive enjoyed reading your suggestions to others. Begin by sanding the granite surface with 100 grit sandpaper to achieve a smooth, gritty, unpolished, or "sanded" surface. The granite does have some gray in it but is mostly golden brown overall. The hammered bronze is very sophisticated look and tones down the veining effect of the granite . Plus its nearly indestructible. Either would look lovely. So lets all agree that we dont need to overhaul our entire home. I keep finding biscuit tiles. [emailprotected], Thanks Mandy, it sounds like you might benefit from a facetime color consultation. It is so outdated, but cant afford to change the counter top at this time. A bright white will be too stark against the warm countertops and tile. Dont despair! By keeping original materials (outdated granite included), you are bringing more warmth, history, and character to your kitchen. Countertops are Uba Tuba granite. Daltile's Rittenhouse Square would be good. What Color Paint Goes With Brown Granite? - 7 Colors Busy countertops, backsplashes and tile floors are like siblings who bicker. Is Santa Cecilia totally outdated or could I get away with this? Best of luck with your updated. The walls, however, are a cool grey/blue! Id paint cabinets or walls to go with the quartz. But they will keep trying to be. This post put words to what I dont like and ways I can love my kitchen with a little bit of soap! White or black counter for island?. Id love to remplace them, but keep the creamy white cabinets we have. Thanks for your comment. I would continue the wood floor into the kitchen. And be sure to see safety information below: Safety gear must be work to protect the lungs while sanding stone. Hi, I will be going brighter and lighter next time! So a copy and paste design strategy suits their end goal. warm gray tiles with reasonably strong violet-pink undertones (the key is to MATCH one of the flecks in your countertop) gray tiles with a blue-violet undertone. My floors are currently dark like the kona cabinets and Im deciding if the floors should remain dark or should I try to go lighter. You can find the Cabinet Colour consultation here. We are going to paint our cabinets white. It looks absolutely incredible and their great work will last for decades to come. Choosing Flooring to Match Your Granite Counter We would like to paint our kitchen cabinets and have st Cecelia granite on the counter tops. You can set that up by emailing me at [emailprotected] Thanks! I finally decided to replace the tile with the same dark brown wood that runs throughout the rest of the house (win). In fact, having a simple backsplash allows your busy countertops to pop. The Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters? It sounds like you have a lot of colors and textures going on in your kitchen. Just so you know, honed granite will look darker because you are removing the shine, which reflects light and makes the stone look lighter. I painted my walls greige which helped tone down the red feeling in my kitchen. Yes, would love to know what your classic granite choices are. Id love to help you, but I think we should schedule some time to look at your kitchen together. Hand-sand corners and hard-to-reach areas. I think you could benefit from a zoom consult. Looks like black soapstone but without the softness that worried us. The backsplash is hideous with a Christmas looking star on 44 tiles. Click here to read more. Your question is complex and will require some study of photos and video to give you a correct response. I can hear one of them say Youre not tge boss of me. What do you recommend on the cabinet and backsplash? 3960 Stewart Road Chilliwack, BC, V2R 5G7, Canada, 2023 Maria Killam | Timeless Colour. and for a really big project, gel stain the cabs or paint a nice cream color to go with granite. And for answering questions about it years later! We just bought a house with orange granite countertops and I am having a hard time finding a wall color. Thanks again!! I love the glass moda tile from Julian Tile. Price out your dream countertops and save up for them. ;) Heres a photo I snapped of it with my iPhone the other day: Now, Im sure theres someone out there would love this kitchen, but my style leans more modern and simpler. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Maria Killam is an acclaimed decorator, stylist, and a leading authority on colour. On the other hand, maybe you want to add a sense of luxury and elegance to your kitchen. Here is a link to pics of gel stain on finished oak. When we purchased our home 10 years ago, we remodeled our kitchen with a lighter brown cabinet, ubatuba granite, and hardwood floors that are similar color to the cabinets. Really, it's beautiful. A neutral, light-colored, solid tile also tends to work well. Any guidance you can provide about how I might update my kitchen would be greatly appreciated. I agree with that.Believe it or not, the granite could be a very subtle star of the show with a better backdrop.I also agree with painting or refacing the cabinets. So glad the post was helpful! As you can imagine, it is very hard to give color advice without spending some time looking at your kitchen and the connecting rooms and talking to you about how you use and your kitchen. Try to hone it first. I'll be sure to post again once we move in and I can get that tile out of there! Best of luck! Your best flooring choice for Bossy Granite will always be a wood floor. Ive collected a few of my favourite posts on the topic of granite to help you either find ways to live with it and work around it. Decide which you like better, and remove the other. This is such a helpful post! The cabinets are already a warm white and the backsplash a fairly solid brown colour. Please do not do dark walls as some have suggested. I have brown and black granite counters with off white cabinets and dark wood floors. Get rid of it and see what you think. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It makes the cabinets look yellow and the room look terrible overall. I have no regrets! That seems too wasteful and expensive. thanks. I want to paint the orangey cherry stained cabinets. Id love to help. White, black, blue, and gold are the most popular granite colors this season. I love the idea of gel staining the cabs darker and would go one more step and gel stain the window trim, then add a simple fabric window treatment. If youd like to schedule a zoom consult where I can answer questions specific to your kitchen while we are looking at it together, please email [emailprotected] Thanks for your comment! Countertop in the Perimeter of the kitchen currently is black which looks old. . It currently has light maple wood cabinets, bossy granite countertops ( I believe the pattern is Vicenzaits dark with browns, greens and tan/peachAKA camouflage for crumbs and spills), and an even bossier backsplash (very dark, skinny/rough tilesnatural stacked look). See how that feels. You want it to be functional, not the star of the kitchen. Whitney. It is large squares. What would be your recommendation in flooring when hardwood isnt an option? This design and change stuff is so hard! Cindy, is sounds like you might benefit from a facetime color consultation. Outdated Granite Countertops? Here's How to Fix it For instance, softer granites may require sanding up to only 800 grits, while denser granite may require up to 1500-grit sandpaper. You can email me at [emailprotected] Thanks!! Continue sanding, this time with 200-grit sandpaper. And if natural stone is your thing, you might as well know which ones I think are most classic. Mine is busy/bossy, but not the worst Ive seen. 3. I would have difficulty with it in my kitchen even though I appreciate the natural beauty of that stone. It is a great bridge between beige and gray. And yes, they put the 5 granite backsplash with a tile backsplash. If you have purchased a home with an existing granite counter that is not your taste, it can seem to take over the kitchen. I agree with you but its so hard to decide on the color. Just like picking a flat paint instead of a glossy one for the walls, picking a matte finish on stone surfaces hides dirt and stains more than a glossy one. I cant decide if I should go with a pure white or an off white. Im happy to know Im not the only one having cabinets vs. countertop/backsplash wars! Id love to do a greige color, but have no idea where to start(light, dark, ect.) Make sure you choose flooring that compliments those tones without being too distracting. Small, mindful updates done well. Ive said this before, natural materials are super popular thanks to the rise of gorgeous design accounts such as Amber Interiors. no tone on tone or anything. Everything else in the kitchen had been replaced. Whether you are trying to coordinate your backsplash with existing granite, or you are installing new granite, choose your backsplash carefully. I also wonder if the granite finish is polished and perhaps the glossy look bothers you? Remove furniture or household items from the work area. HmmI see what you mean, sort of. This is the kind of in depth question that we would need to schedule a paid Zoom call to discuss where I can see your kitchen in person. Attach the sandpaper to your random orbit sander according to the manufacturer's instructions. Here is a link that might be useful: Gel stain to darken golden oak. I would get a plain white subway tile, with light grout, done. So if you want a white tile, make sure it's a white with warm undertones. If youd like to schedule a zoom consult you can do that here: https://designfiles.co/design-packages/bella-tucker-decorative-finishes. Look for secondary colors within the granite that you may not find so repulsive. What color paint do you recommend to lighten the kitchen cabinets? Im breaking all of Marias cardinal rules in making hail Mary decisions despite reading this blog for years (blame my stressful job and remodeling during COVID)! What grout color would you recommend? Because of this, I offer facetime color consultations. Any suggestions would be helpful. 5 Tips To Incorporate Granite Countertops For Small Kitchens I love the granite. Sarabeth Asaff has worked in and has written about the home improvement industry since 1995. If the white tile and the pink countertops are working together, Id paint the cabinets white too. It sounds like you might benefit from a facetime color consultation. Painting oak, maple or dark cabinets can also soften the green countertops. Just a glance at that photo and it's the backsplash that's screaming for attention. Great site and very helpful. Featured: Caravelas Gold Granite and Taos Picket Mosaic. if you want to do more, remove cabinet to right of window. If I asked, the person working there would lug it down, but how many times was I going to do that? This should also help with the size of the kitchen window, which looks small to me in proportion to the space. Good luck with your kitchen. I have been trying to find ways to love the kitchen without demoing everything. If the granite color isn't to your liking, make it take a backseat to other design ideas that you like more. So stop sitting on the fence and transform your small kitchen with granite countertops. The colors stand out wonderfully against the white walls and white cabinetry. 15 or so years ago and knowing absolutely NOTHING about granite or quartz counter tops, I decided to go with honed, absolute black granite. Transfer the focal point from the ugly granite to the backsplash. Someone at Home Depot suggested me to go for quartz on perimeter because you can get creamish plain Cambria type look in quartz, which will highlight the busy pattern of island. First of all, let me say congratulations to you! Its a beautiful granite! Because of this, I offer facetime color consultations. Sherwin Williams Creamy is the cabinet color. One extra thing Ive noticed, in one of the above before/after photos, you included cabinets that have a braided detail on them. . Our painter said he suggests Vanilla Shake by Dunn Edwards. My house is mainly black, white and gold. Id say no on the two toned cabinets. [emailprotected]. That all depends on your countertop and your floor. With that bring said, we are painting all the woodwork in the house white. I have Santa Cecilia granite (classic) with 4 backsplash, that is less gold and yellow and is the lightest of SC. What it looks like in the context of whatever surrounds it in the yard is guaranteed to be very different from the way it looks in your new kitchen. I would love to redo my kitchen but will need to keep it as is for now, but a new fresh coat of paint on all my walls will brighten up the look I think. I have something to say about this kitchen. While quartz has largely taken over, granite had a very loooong moment. Concentrate on a color in the granite that you like by introducing it elsewhere in the room. How to Work with your Existing Granite when Updating your Kitchen https://designfiles.co/design-packages/bella-tucker-decorative-finishes, Such helpful info..we have a Tuscan kitchen with chestnut brown granite and the dreaded 5 inch backsplash with cream travertine floors. I think UbaTuba is one of the easier ones to work with with its dark black base. That might quiet things down a bit. I think these granite colours can work well with fresh and current kitchens. You should have one or the other, but not both. Without seeing any photos, my general advice would be: use a cream color subway tile, cream color cabinets like BM Swiss Coffee or SW Navajo White. The cabinets are a cream color with espresso accent lines and hardware. Matte surfaces just look so sleek and it allows your eye to notice the other aspects of your design since youre not being blinded by reflective surfaces. Please email me if youd like to do a color consultation. Mixing browns and grays is very tricky. We plan on sanding and staining the floors a darker color. BM Swiss Coffee is a nice soft warm white. Grab a selection of warm white paint chips and hold them up to your granite. I do not recommend it without a professional color consultation. If you are getting ready to tackle a partial kitchen renovation and you are planning to keep some of your hard finishes like countertops or floors, you MUST READ THIS first! If the test does go well, repeat the process for the rest of the countertop, working in small sections. Sigh. For example, some granites such as Uba Tuba may appear to be black, but contain shades of green, cream, gold and turquoise. Yes, biscuit is another name for off white tile. . Even better might be a soft greige like Pale Oak. Consult with a professional for the best sealer/enhancer product for your particular material. Granite counter top colors that won't date your kitchen All is . One thing I always tell my clients is you can never go wrong with subway tile either ceramic or glass or marble (depending on the granite). If youd like to schedule a consult, please email me for scheduling at [emailprotected] Thanks! Stick with softer darks in muted warm neutrals, blues, greens and slates if you want to try this look for your kitchen. A subway tile in a neutral tone like ivory, off-white, or even greige will complement the granite and actually work to tone it down. My walls are SW Accessible Beige and all trim is SW Alabaster. The tile floor is white. I have tumbled travertine tiles with bronze tile mixed throughout (suggested by installer). Sometimes just a color change can make your whole kitchen feel updated without changing anything else. I would suggest talking to a professional at your local hardware store and the vendor of a honing powder to see what they suggest. I would try Sherwin Williams Creamy or Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee. The first article was the one that helped me SO much when choosing paint colors for our wine retail space when we were working with existing earthy granite colors. Functionally, it was good to go, but it had antiqued off-white cabinets, 90s-esque brown granite that felt dated to me, and a busy stone backsplash.