When Johnnie retired, he started drawing out his Social Security pension and people would say, he is so rich, he doesnt need it. But he would carry his Social Security money in an envelope in his pocket and by the end of the month he would have given it all away to people who were in need., On Oct. 13, Johnelle will be honored by the Childrens Advocacy of Central Arkansas as a Woman of Inspiration. In her typical, humble manner she says, I dont know why they chose me, there are so many more people who deserve to be honored, who have done so much more than I have, but I said that if it will help then I would do it. Most of us humans won't do it, but for entrepreneurs, it's part of being an entrepreneur.". Save $25 when you book your first LTL shipment. The key is to find out how to maintain a degree of resilience that allows you to keep on moving," said Terry Esper, associate professor in the department of supply chain management at the Walton College. Hunt grew the business by courting Wal-Mart Stores Inc. owner Sam Walton, who eventually became Hunts largest customer. When they used to do investor "road shows" to present the company to potential shareholders, "The first thing he would say, is 'We are from Lowell, Ark. Having events like this will raise money and awareness, and there are children out there who really need that help.. Hunt Sr. She cofounded J.B. Hunt Company with her husband in 1961, and in 1969 they created J.B. Hunt Transport Services. and St. Louis. Together, Mr. and Mrs. Hunt, along with our first-generation leaders Wayne Garrison and Kirk Thompson, would define the values of our company, values that still ring true today: that we honor our commitments; regularly challenge ourselves and our approach in how we serve our customers; watch costs closely; and strive to treat one another as family. At 84, Johnelle is still the beating heart of the Hunt empire. In the impromptu conversation that followed, Mr. Hunt sought to go deeper than surface level. 2023 Five Legged Stool LLC. Hunt and still frame from Pryor Center video interview© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #2: Red River Feed Company owned by Johnelle Hunt's father, Johnie DeBusk; Heber Springs, Arkansas© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #3: Childhood photo of J. And I always felt like that was the most important thing that he did for the company. They had two children and seven grandchildren. Johnnie Bryan Hunt was born on February 28, 1927, in Heber Springs, Arkansas. We know that Johnnie's political affiliation . [8], J. Johnnie Bryan Hunt was born on February 28, 1927 in Heber Springs, Cleburne County, Arkansas. These ideals have fueled our growth for more than 60 years and will continue to propel us into the future. . Skip Ancestry main menu . CONTENT MAY BE COPYRIGHTED BY WIKITREE COMMUNITY MEMBERS. People you trust, technology that empowers, and capacity to deliver are the ideals J.B. Hunt uses to help us keep moving freight forward. Johnnie Bryan "J. B." Hunt (1927-2006) One of the most successful entrepreneurs in Arkansas history, Johnnie Bryan "J. B." Hunt rose from humble beginnings to found one of America's largest trucking firms, J. We got up the next day, and we just kept working," Johnelle Hunt said. He had worked 45 weeks and earned $500. The Arkansas-based logistics giant is the 3rd largest trucking company in the country, behind only FedEx and UPS. Linked companies : J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. - PowerBand Solutions Inc. Summary. It reflects the name of one of the co-founders of the company - Johnnie Bryan Hunt, equal parts truck driver and dreamer. Johnnie Hunt eventually did, and the family moved to Stuttgart where, in 1961, they founded J.B. Hunt Co. Their first year in business they lost $19,000. The ERGs also support the advancement of women, African Americans, Latinos, veterans and individuals who identify as LGBTQIA+. Hunt is . Hunt introduced computers to truck drivers in the 1990s. [5], In 1950, he lived in Giles Township, Cleburne County, and worked hauling lumber to make a living. "I'm in high school, and he has me typing letters to manufacturers," Johnelle Hunt recalled. He is also ranked in the richest person list from United States. With an audience of 96,000*, Little Rock Soire is THE most-read monthly magazine in central Arkansas. Then he would come to our office and tell me what certain people were doing wrong so that I would go and address it. In many cases, this helped both drivers and the company. That's just par for the course with being innovative. B. I learned to drive very early and I would take one of Daddy's big trucks on a Sunday afternoon and put my friends all in it and drive around in the neighborhoods right there in town, driving that big truck. On Buzzlearn.com, Johnnie is listed as a successful Businessman who was born in the year of 1927. circulation@abpg.com. When we started our own business he asked me to help out part time. We have our sights set on becoming a 20-billion-dollar company by 2030, and we're continuing to try new things, leverage our cutting-edge technology and think big as we strive to . Hunt and Johnelle DeBusk (Hunt) (right) with their friends on Petit Jean Mountain, Arkansas© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #20: J. Known as JB Hunt, Johnny Bryan Hunt, Sr. was an entrepreneur from the United States and the founder of JB Hunt Transport Services, the nation's largest public trucking company. "If you look at companies historically, when they focus on delivering value to customers, they wind up doing these things that seem counterintuitive. "A significant portion of that is because we've put trailers on the railroad.". In 1969, he established a trucking company with five trucks and seven trailers as a sideline to his poultry feed business. Our more than 60 years in the logistics industry have taught us what keeps freight moving forward. Weve dedicated ourselves to makingour J.B. Hunt 360 platformthe best, most comprehensive digital platform in the industry. "There was an entire field to choose from, and his contributions were deemed worth recognizing in its inaugural class. Your email address will not be published. B. Book loads in Carrier 360 to get savings and earn rewards on thethings you need most to keep your fleet moving. Mrs. Hunt, who just turned 90 years young, was recently honored at halftime of an Arkansas Razorback basketball game to celebrate the occasion. The late Johnnie Bryan Hunt Sr., founder of J.B. Hunt Transport, showed off the saddle that once belonged to actor John Wayne in this August 2003 photo. B. [1][2], In 1945, he lived in Miller, Arkansas. We always liked getting everyones opinion and we wanted everyone to feel like they had an input, anyone could come and talk to us., Johnelle speaks at length about her truckers and her staff. Subscribe to Soire Today! He grew up picking cotton, says Johnelle. ", Esper said students with work experience at the company "are much more attuned to the issues out there and are looking at those issues in a much more innovative way.". It was one of the best moments in my life, J.B. Hunt driver Terry Weston recalled of the 2019 Million Mile celebration. B. and Johnelle Hunt's getaway car before their wedding© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #24: Johnelle Hunt's parents, Johnie J. and Ollie Jane DeBusk, 1953© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #25: J. . And thats been true since the very beginning of our company. "The first 10 years of the trucking company were really a struggle," Johnelle Hunt said. One thing was clear from our conversation: she's a tough businesswoman. B. and Johnelle Hunt at the Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #46: J. Born the daughter of a poultry farmer in Heber Springs in 1932 in the Great Depression, today she is worth $2.3 billion and has become one of the most successful businesswomen in American history. B. Let me tell you, women can get things done, Mrs. Hunt once said. Walmart Helped Put Northwest Arkansas on the Map. Now Everybody Wants a Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, What the work-from-home era has done to office politics, Regulators seize First Republic Bank, sell to JPMorgan Chase, First Republic up in air as regulators juggle banks fate. Then Michael Haverty from the Santa Fe Railway Co. approached Johnnie Hunt with a new idea. J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc., the company it has become, last year boasted $6.2 billion in revenue, making it the fourth-largest for-hire trucking company in the country. B. [1][2] He lived in Fayetteville, Washington County. When asked if she gets tired of it all she says, well, yes, but I promised Johnnie Id look after things.. Streamline your operations with smart shipping and end-to-end load management. B. "This deal changed the entire landscape of long-haul freight transportation in America," Thompson said. ", President and Chief Executive Officer John Roberts said the company is "extremely fortunate to have had Mr. Hunt as our founder. Over the past few years, we have developed new capabilities that improve the experience of our drivers and automate efficient carrier solutions for our customers. Johnnie Bryan Hunt is a businessperson who has been at the helm of 6 different companies and currently occupies the position of Chairman of Best Buy Here Pay Here, Chairman of Progressive Auto Finance Corp., Chairman for Global Dealer Group LLC, President at Best Automotive, Inc., President of Best Automotive, Inc. and President of Bryan Hunt . Johnelle Terria Hunt (ne DeBusk, born January 4, 1932) is an American billionaire, the widow of Johnnie Bryan Hunt, and co-founder of J.B. Hunt Transport Services, the company they started in 1961 . Today, JB Hunt is a Fortune 500 company with over 29,000 employees and a fleet of more than 12,000 trucks. Learn more about how we create value for our customers using the right mix of shipment solutions and services. B. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA. We collect and match historical records that Ancestry users have contributed to their family trees to create each person's profile. When Johnnie Hunt died suddenly, she came out of retirement to take the helm of his real estate development company, Hunt Ventures. And because she broke into the industry and forged her path, others could follow in her footsteps. When Johnelle Hunt (nee DeBusk) started as the default business manager of J.B. Hunt Co. when the company was founded in 1961, she entered an industry where she had very few female peers. More than 30,000 employees is a long way from the early days when Mr. and Mrs. Hunt worked days and nights at their rice hull processing plant in Stuttgart, Ark. Weve investedmore than a billion dollarsin capacity solutions and continue toinvest in containersand trailers to better serve the needs of customers while also using some of the newest, most modern tractors available. J.B. and Johnelle were married for nearly 55 years until his death in 2006. He came into work in the morning and would go round speaking to everyone in the company. Being inclusive is making sure that all 30,000 plus of our employees feel like their voices are heard and respected, says Tami Allensworth, senior vice president and co-founder of GROW. It remains in operation today, still using the same machines Johnnie Hunt designed and patented. Our six-week newsletter will help you make the right decision for you and your property. Hunt family gives $5 million to Fayetteville Library project It really does feel like a family.. Learn more about how we create value for our customers using the right mix of shipment solutions and services. Little Rock Soire is central Arkansas' most-read monthly magazine that celebrates all that's good in Little Rock-good people, good parties, good food and good culture. Johnnie Hunt Sr is Notable. Haverty had written a thesis in business school about how a railroad and a trucking company should team up to provide door-to-door deliveries, but when he first promoted the idea, people said, "this guy doesn't understand that railroad companies and trucking companies hate each other," Haverty recalled. In fact, she did some of the intimidating herself. She tells the story with a laugh because years later, in 1969, Johnnie Hunt bought five tractors and seven trailers. Springdale, Arkansas (AR), US. Learn more about how we create value for our customers using the right mix of shipment solutions and services. While drivers are perhaps the most visible employees of J.B. Hunt, a large group of people including thousands of office and field employees and our maintenance team works behind them. We think of it as a family, an extension of the dedication our founders Johnnie Bryan and Johnelle Hunt put into this company to establish it as one of the largest transportation and logistics operations in the country. He was able to carry more freight and provide more work for the drivers. B. and Johnelle Hunt's son, Bryan Hunt, 1st grade© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #32: Johnelle and J. Because of her instrumental role in the development of J.B. Hunt Transport Services, her later business endeavors, and her ongoing philanthropic investments, Mrs. Hunt has been named to the Arkansas Business Hall of Fame, the Arkansas Womens Hall of Fame and was awarded Arkansas Business Legacy of Leadership Award in 2021. Mrs. Hunts steady presence in our organization has helped establish us a welcoming company. Hunt and Johnelle DeBusk (Hunt) on Petit Jean Mountain, Arkansas© Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History, University of Arkansas, #21: Johnelle and J. Johnnie Bryan Hunt has been a part of the Business list.. On this site which analyses celebrities, Johnnie is well known as one of the top stars. Dec. 8, 2006 12 AM PT. Main Line: (501) 372-1443, Circulation But when the soon-to-be Mrs. Hunt outraced all of her friends to his truck one day, she claimed the seat beside him. Though Johnnie Hunt died in 2006, Johnelle Hunt and their two children will attend the the council's annual conference in Florida to accept the award on his behalf Tuesday. [7], In the 1960s, he began producing poultry litter and selling it to poultry companies in Arkansas. Every morning, Mr. Hunt made a point of walking through the company headquarters, from the ground floor to the top floor, to check in with folks. Today, J.B. Hunt is an industry leader in transportation and logistics, offering Dedicated, Intermodal, Truckload and Final Mile solutions to customers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. With heavy hearts, we announce the death of Johnny A. Isenhour (Newton, North Carolina), born in Catawba, North Carolina, who passed away on April 21, 2023 at the age of 64. In the following decades, as the two built the company into one of the largest and most influential transportation providers in the nation, Mr. Hunt never took his finger off the pulse of the road. Innovative, driven, disruptive, integrity all terms we heard often with great passion. I'm developing, I'm building buildings, I'm building apartments, I'm doing all those things, but J.B. Hunt Transport will always be my baby and it will always be the one that touches my heart when I'm included, Mrs. Hunt said as the company turned 60 years old last August. The Arkansas Business Hall of Fame inducted them as a couple in 2001. The Women's Foundation of Arkansas named her 2012 Woman of the Year. Johnnie Bryan Hunt is a businessperson who has been at the helm of 7 different companies and holds the position of Chairman of Best Buy Here Pay Here, Chairman for Progressive Auto Finance Corp., Chairman for Global . How to avoid leaving money on the table, Congressional investigators blame airlines for most flight cancellations, First Republic Bank stock plunges to record low as rescue plan proves elusive, Fed faults Silicon Valley Bank execs and itself in bank failure. You pick up newspapers and read about a child that is being abused or hurt, and as I learned more about it I realized how much we need this organization and what great things they do. Tired of being home alone, she made him promise one thing: "that we will never own another truck.". are driving the change we see for ourselves down the road. Trucking magnate J.B. Hunt dies at 79 - Commercial Carrier Journal Book loads in Carrier 360 to get savings and earn rewards on thethings you need most to keep your fleet moving. B. Johnelle Hunt: Notes on Leading a Billion-Dollar Company, Raising a Family To capture the style and culture of Little Rock and its people and to be the ultimate guide to the best the city has to offer. 114 Scott Street Johnelle Hunt said that while she and her husband thought about quitting, they never thought about moving from Arkansas. J.B. Hunt provides a variety of freight transportation services to customers throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. Ill cry right along with you. Im so glad I got to meet that lady.. "With any innovative company, there will always be things you try that don't work. Arkansas Business Publishing Group Kent explained that in 1980 about 18 percent of the U.S. economy was attributed to inventory and transportation costs. [6] He married Johnelle Terria Debusk on January 19, 1952 in Heber Springs, Cleburne County. Esper is an officer at the council and has been involved with the group for 20 years. Haverty also faced skepticism from his peers, though it quickly faded. Hunt family - Forbes I mean, I've worked in a lot of companies and you hear Welcome to the company, Welcome to the team, Welcome to the organization., I've never heard Welcome to the family. And whats really interesting is I've experienced that every day since. In this multi-part series, we dive into the key components driving our mission to create the most efficient transportation network in North America - thinking big and taking risks, building a talented workforce unlike any other, and offering stellar customer service. Another trend he set was to keep driver pay as low as possible. After visiting them in Lowell in 1988, he invited Johnnie Hunt and then-President Kirk Thompson to see how it could work by riding a passenger car on a freight train from Chicago to Kansas City. When you know the path you're going down is not working, though, you have to know when to stop.". Hunt, Johnnie Bryan "J. B." - Encyclopedia of Arkansas He carried a wad of $100 bills in a gold money clip and regularly handed them to people he thought needed the money. He was 79. A $300-million (minimum) gondola to Dodger Stadium? No one had ever managed to find a way to pack them because rice hulls are difficult to compress. Leave a sympathy message to the family on the memorial page of Johnny A. Isenhour to pay them a last tribute. The Hunt family in 1984, from left: Bryan, Johnelle, Johnnie (J.B.), and Jane. He also secured a lucrative contract to haul merchandise for Walmart Inc., which became Hunt's largest customer. Hunt died on December 7, 2006 in Springdale, Washington County, after injuries he sustained when he slipped on ice and fell, hitting his head. Johnnie Bryan Hunt rose to prime prominence as a Business. I wish I could have hugged everyone.. Bryan Hunt's house in Springdale, AR (Google Maps) - Virtual Globetrotting Privacy Policy | Terms, Conditions & Notices | Comment Policy. Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a78bdd01176ef76187c4fac8f0afef5b" );document.getElementById("c08a1a06c7").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); By clicking subscribe, you are giving J.B. Hunt your express consent to receive blog updates and information about any employment or After completing seventh grade, Hunt worked at his uncle's sawmill and sold lumber. After completing seventh grade, Hunt worked at his uncle's sawmill and sold lumber. [3] He left school after the seventh grade to work at his uncle's sawmill and later found other work picking cotton and selling lumber. He did a good job with communicating with people. Johnnie Hunt is 64 years old today because Johnnie's birthday is on 06/21/1958. We offer career Bryan serves on the board of J.B. Hunt and also is Chairman of Global Dealer Group, a private company with operations in . We engineer innovative technology that accelerates our growth and is disrupting the transportation industry. He declined and later called that his biggest mistake. He headquartered his company in Lowell, Benton County. We moved there in 1972. "We knew if it all failed we could go back to where we were and be happy," she said. It was hard work, integrity and honesty that helped carry them through those trying times and eventually turn that venture and the transportation company that was incorporated in 1969 into a success. B. Have you taken a DNA test? While driving down the road, he handed her the ring on the way to her high school graduation. We brought together shippers and carriers into adigital marketplacemore than five years ago. B. He formed another lucrative partnership with the Santa Fe Railroad. The deal would have macroeconomic effects, too. I have been the wife of a trucker myself, so I would often speak to their wives if they were upset. Find loads for owner-operators, fleets, power only carriers and home delivery carriers. His education was driving those trucks all those years, because he had so much time alone.". From the Associated Press. Johnelle also recounts seeing John F. Kennedy at a luncheon for the dedication of Greers Ferry Dam on Oct. 3, 1963, just weeks before his assassination. Supply chain professionals who have "changed the world we live in," said Brian Hancock, a member of the council's board and chairman of the hall of fame development committee. Mrs. Hunt, as it turns out, was born for her role. Johnnie Bryan "J. She continued as his partner in business and life until his death and afterward. He and his wife, Johnelle, remained the largest shareholders of J.B. Hunt stock. Hunt within a yellow-and-black scroll logo. Powered by our people, the opportunities at J.B. Hunt are endless. B. Her husband died on Dec. 7, 2006, from injuries sustained in a fall six days earlier. J. Bryan Hunt Jr. is the son of Johnnie Hunt, the founder of J.B Hunt Transport. They did not sell the rice hull business until 1983, when the company went public. B. There is so much more to J.B. Hunt than trucking. Bryan serves on the board of J.B. Hunt and also is Chairman of Global Dealer Group, a private company with operations in motor . Thinking outside the box ultimately led to one of the best decisions in the history of J.B. Hunt Transport.". The 10-year-old had to go to work cutting timber at his uncle's sawmill. Bryan Hunt on NIL venture: 'Either you think it's genuine, or you don't' Whether the best solution is intermodal, truckload, dedicated fleet management, less than truckload (LTL) or another freight mode, J.B. Hunt can help provide the capacity that our customers need when they need it. We started selling stock so we could raise enough money to start the business.