Seems mostly fine although some chapters reference current events, which will be outdated at some point. This introduction to International Relation is one of the most original and interesting to come to the market in a long while. I thought the chapters on the environment and food security were I think it's pretty much well written and organized. The prose is lucid and accessible. Brian, "On the History and Historiography of . Instead, taking international practices seriously spells out the many faces of world politics, including power and security, trade and finance, strategy, institutions and organizations, resources, knowledge and discourse, etc. Both of these stylistic errors make it more difficult for students to read and comprehend the text. Many chapters could be combined for a more streamlined presentation. EU customers: we regret we cannot currently supply print inspection copies via the website but eBooks are available.If you would like an eBook and the option is not displayed below, please email [emailprotected] with your request. Sentence structure and grammar are excellent. Other elements are deeply historical and unlikely to need updating anytime soon. If you would prefer an eBook and it is not displayed below, please visit our exam copies page. Reviewed by Elissa Alzate, Associate Professor, Winona State University on 6/19/18, The first section of the book, "The Basics," did not cover the basics in as much detail as I would have liked to see. Insofar as the chapters construct the fundamental building blocks of IR, the book is internally consistent. A handy Getting Started section prior to the first chapter guides the reader on how to navigate the text, elaborating on some of the fields jargonwhich is used sparinglyas well as on the use of academic citations. This title is available for exam copy requests. Of course, it's not a perfect IR textbook, but there's no "perfect" textbook, either. Insufficient attention is given to the more modern versions of these traditions, namely neoliberalism and neorealism, which have prevailed over roughly the last four decades. The text builds on foundational case studies and then applies this knowledge to the contemporary period. There was nothing at all offensive about this book, but people should be aware that it is a European-worldview IR text. The writing is clear and concise. This book is designed as a foundational entry point to International Relations theory. Also, most books also provide a multiplicity of weblinks and other online sources throughout each chapter. Also, there is no glossary. There were no images or charts or other display features, however. Featuring a combination of chapters authored by leading scholars, researchers and practitioners from around the world, this textbook takes into account the historical development of international relations and the web of dynamics that forms the subject, resulting in a clear analysis of the field from a variety of perspectives. This book is, for all intents and purposes, a series of smart introductory lectures. Dozen of ways to do it but it follows a somewhat standard approach. I would organize is differently in terms of the chapters. My biggest issue with the interface is that there is none. Reviewed by Michelle Allendoerfer, Assistant Professor, The George Washington University on 12/17/20, The book covers a very wide and comprehensive set of topics in a concise way. Still, some materials (e.g., religion, colonialism, etc.) read more. In the discipline of international relations there are contending general theories or theoretical perspectives. Stephen Hill, Lecturer in Politics and International Relations, University of Edinburgh, UK, Registered Office: 1385 Broadway, Fifth Floor, New York, NY 10018 USA. CENTER FOR OPEN EDUCATION | The Open Education Network is based in the Center for Open Education in the University of Minnesotas College of Education and Human Development. However, the book is written, as it says in the intro, not to be broken up or only have selections assigned. However, there is not much on IR theory. I thought the chapters on the environment and food security were particularly well-developed, but other chapters like the one on connectivity, communications, and technology would have been made stronger through more details or applied examples. I found the book to be accurate on the topics it covers. International Relations (17 reviews) Stephen McGlinchey, University of the West of England Copyright Year: 2016 ISBN 13: 9781910814185 Publisher: E-International Relations Language: English Formats Available PDF Conditions of Use Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC Reviews Learn more about reviews. The book makes an effort to include a diversity of perspectives in IR, reflecting the theoretical and empirical diversity that the field is striving toward. This was particularly true since a key theme of the book is that the ideas of IR being international and focused on states is somewhat outdated, shifting to adopt terms such as global, globalisation, and non-state actors. Unfortunately, its relevance (like the relevance of so many political science textbooks) will take a hit due to the global pandemic. This chapter covers the individual, group, state, and systems levels of analysis and the implication of it for comprehending international relations. However, there is not enough theory to be my main text. Students should use the book to progress through, which limits the ability of the instructor to structure the course prioritizing different information. It seems that the editor chose breath over depth. These text's underlying theme (obvious though never explicitly stated) is that of globalization as a cause of peace. In addition, the textbook does not talk about dictatorship and human rights violations, and the global response. al. The textbook could benefit from some graphic representations. Carmen Gebhard is a Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations at the University of Edinburgh. read more. Introduction to International Relations: Foundations and Concepts Some scholars might prefer to also understand the nature of government in lands, territories and empires prior to the emergence of "the state" in the context of other non-European pre-states. Hardcover. Spicemas Launch 28th April, 2023 - Facebook Most importantly, I personally would not want to adopt this textbook without understanding the plan for updating it, as some of this information will likely seem outdated or obsolete in the next 5-10 years. Actually, students would even appreciate the fact that IR scholars may have distinctive views/perspectives on historical/current events in IR. Despite the daunting task it takes on, this textbook does an impressive job of You must sign in to add this item to your wishlist. The content is extremely up to date. The chapter then employs each theoretical framework to assess by the lights of each theory, respectively, the United Nations. Stephen McGlinchey is a Senior Lecturer in Interna. It is pretty much comprehensive. These three omissions lessen the usability of the text. As of this reviewing no major grammatical issues detected. Overall, well done, but not much freedom to use a chapter here or there or rearrange chapters to fit the desired flow of the course. The Eurocentric nature of the first chapter (albeit, with a degree of self-awareness from the author) can be transformed to offer a more global perspective as the books foundational stone. An immensely user-friendly introduction to International Relations, replete with diagrams, maps, illustrations and helpful summaries of the material covered. The content is up-to-date and incorporates both canonical and contemporary case studies in its explication of the material. read more. Both the terminology and framework of the chapters is internally consistent. Foundations of international relations | WorldCat.org I think the aspects that are current could easily be updated without a complete overhaul of the book. Readers can infer definitions from context, however. there is a number of redundant discussions along with a lack of integration of different topics. This is of course always depends on one's perspective but from what I could tell, it seems accurate. read more. Jindal Global University. Additionally, the authors state clearly that the chapters should not be "cherry picked" and must be read one after another--I did not find this to be the case and had no issues jumping around. The writers of each chapter appear to cover all of the themes that have been traditionally a part of IR and frankly have made major steps in incorporating today's issues as such connectivity, technology and cyberissues, terrorism, religion and culture factors, climate and environmental and the emergence of new power bases in Asia and the Mideast. A Practical Introduction to Regression Discontinuity Designs Foundations Part of Elements in Quantitative and Computational Methods for the Social Sciences Authors: Matias D. Cattaneo, Princeton University, New Jersey Nicols Idrobo, University of Pennsylvania Roco Titiunik, Princeton University, New Jersey Date Published: February 2020 read more. This is good for a smarter, more experienced reader, but it's a problem for most novice readers. A glossary might be helpful. Donations are voluntary and not required to download the e-book - your link to download is below. It clearly covers all of the major themes, theories, concepts and trends in an extremely dynamic subject matters. In this sense, I don't think that the book is written in a way that's appropriate for a first-year student being introduced to a topic. As a branch of the Middle East-based Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), ISIL-Khorasan (ISIL-K) emerged in late 2014 in southern and eastern Afghanistan. I might not be the smartest guy, but I think that I already deliver smart introductory lectures. However, using it as the primary text for college students in the United States would require a lot of extra work (developing a glossary,discussion questions, finding the images,charts, figures going along with the text, etc.). technology, food) and the short Findings - . read more. The study of international practices has gained significant . My sense is that this omission emerges from its European perspective. Foundations of international relations: an Islamic Sufi approach - Emerald Anthony F Lang, Professor of International Political Theory, University of St Andrews, UK. The textbook is inaccurate mostly because it's separate chapters allow each author to condense huge topics into a very short space. E-IR is an independent non-profit publisher run by an all volunteer team. The organization is logical and given the modularity of the text, instructors who adopt the book could easily change the order if needed for their purposes. It's simply natural and not an issue at all. I don't think it has culturally offensive parts. Foundations of International Relations delivers a comprehensive explanation of International Relations that includes a thorough introduction to critical theories and non-western viewpoints alongside established IR theories and narratives. A minor criticism, however, is that some chapters in Part Two do not adequately tie the discussion of the issue to concerns and debates in IR. Again, the book is meant to be read completely linearly, so this consistency was a priority for the authors. Reviewed by Alexis Henshaw, Visiting Assistant Professor, Miami University on 6/20/17, The book at least touches on all of the subjects that I routinely cover in my introductory course on international relations, but the coverage of the subjects vary greatly. A Court of Thorns and Roses Paperback Box Set, Teachers, Librarians, Parents & Caregivers. 5. The basics Of IR are covered and most modern global Issues are addressed. A few of the chapters reference current events or contemporary individuals, and thus will appear dated soon. The approachability of the text and relevant case studies will leave students with the tools needed to understand and analyse international events. Part One provides excellent, succinct overviews of the fundamentals, or basics, of the field, while Part Two delves into specific global issues of contemporary importance. The approachability of the text and relevant case studies will leave students with the tools needed to understand and analyse international events. While it employs British spelling and phrasing in places, this should enhance the experience of American students for whom it is unfamiliar. It would have been nice to get some more introductory concepts from some of the later chapters such as levels of analysis and actors before addressing one particular foreign policy tool. Most, but not all, chapters are designed to first briefly introduce the topic or concept, followed by illustrative cases to help the readers comprehension. The book presents itself as NOT predisposed to modularity. There is little jargon, as was the author's intention, but this makes the writing seem even too simplistic for college students. There are no interface errors, but the book is entirely page after page of similar-looking text. Still, I believe it's highly consistent, and any small discrepancy across authors would not generate any confusion to students. Sometimes with one or two writers the content can be limited by the writers knowledge and interest. PDF Foundations of International Relations Theory It's an edited textbook written by multiple authors, and not necessarily perfectly consistent in depicting/describing historical events or explaining theories. There are no images or any other illustrations. amount, in any currency, is appreciated. Same as above comment in "modularity". Book provides often times an objective view of global politics, but on issues there have been instances where some authors refer to their personal experiences as a way to open up debates and introduce paradoxes which in some ways impact the overall bias on the issues introduced. Foundations of International Relations - Bloomsbury While the preface indicates that there are "no boxes, charts, pictures, or exercises" because "these things can be a distraction", I find that in particular to be counterproductive. However, it addresses early in the book the historical existence of pre-state areas in a European context only. My chief complaint-- and this is true of most IR texts-- is that the latter third (issues) rarely refers back to concepts and theories. Realism in Waltz's view was severely limited, as where other classic disciplines of international relations. However, updates should be relatively easy. Anitta Kynsilehto is a Senior Research Fellow at Tampere Peace Research Institute, Tampere University. Stephen McGlinchey has brought together a fantastic collection of authors who together present a wide-ranging, critical and accessible introduction to International Relations. Yet another compilation of IR chapters from a very western oriented set of authors. Please sign in or create an account. Overall, this is a basic introductory text that to my mind holds promise. For example, the IR theories are not covered in as much depth as they should be, and the author of that chapter seems to be somewhat dismissive of them. However, these are almost always on deeply contested issues in the field; interested readers could consult other sources for more nuanced analyses. There are many topics that I don't typically cover in an Intro to IR course but that I could see being interesting to students (e.g. Connectivity, Communications And Technology, 17. There are no major presentation errors in the book. Would you like to go to the United States site? Combined with the lack of finding aids, I think the lack of interface would frustrate some students. So, when I'm looking for a book, I'm looking for a reference guide/companion to my lectures. The text has a strong internal consistency. The edited volume captures the relevant debates in IR and provides an overall view of open topics in a manner to insuniate longer term discussion. Please sign in or create an account. There are many topics that I don't typically cover in an Intro to IR course but that I could see being interesting to students (e.g. International Affairs, M.A. | Middle Tennessee State University Reviewed by Abigail Post, Assistant Professor of Political Science and National Security, Anderson University on 12/4/20, I would not classify this as a comprehensive text of introductory international relations.