This will make you seem like youre leaning as youre getting into the stance. As stated above, in the interest of safety on base, drivers will not stop driving on Eglin Boulevard during reveille or retreat. We were taught to stand straight and face the flag for the anthem ; hand over heart for the pledge recitation . USAF/USA: In accordance with service protocol, will face the flag or music, stand attention and salute at first note of the National Anthem and hold the salute until national anthem is finished. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. This provision makes no mention of taking off your hat if you are wearing one before you salute. You are not supposed to move your right foot to stand at attention. That said, I would look at it as an issue of respect in that it seems more respectful to remove caps when not in uniform before saluting. Charles Marke Proper conduct during the national anthem is actually controlled by a federal statute: Title 36 of the U.S. Code, 301. "There were good points to know about in this article.". Now when it comes to the pledge of allegiance you have a different standard. Copyright 2023 Military.com. February 16, 2022 @ davidegrogan There is one exception to this. USMC/USN: In accordance with service protocol, will face the flag or music, stand attention and remain at attention until the National Anthem is finished. A. It is at the same tempo as quick time, but instead of 30 inches, the step is 15 inches. The expectations behind reveille and retreat and some differences here may be worth revisiting. If you're a U.S. military personnel, you may also follow this during other songs like Taps, the Marines Hymn, or the U.S. Army Anthem. In time, you'll be able to strengthen your posture and overall technique. Section 7 of the "Flag Code" mandates that, upon seeing the raising or lowering of the flag at 08:00 and 18:00, general civilians should stand at attention and face the flag. As a VFW District Commander, I do encourage the practice of saluting the flag, while understanding why many will not. At 97 he died, and had military funeral. An official website of the United States government. I think what you did was permissible under the statute. If you are going to recite the pledge you should place your hand over your heart. Last Updated: October 22, 2021 7:25 AM. The salute is raised when the parade leader finishes saying "salute", and is lowered in after being held for the same amount of time elapsed between the words "hand" and "salute.". November 6, 2019 @ For everybody else hand over heart is the appropriate. https://www.unl.edu/armyrotc/HandbookChapters/Chapter9.pdf, https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/understanding-stationary-drill.html, You must also assume this stance if you hear fall in, or squad/platoon, attention.. I will try to post an answer within a week. After they've learned to stand at attention, our Cub Scouts need to learn how to do the Cub Scout salute. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes. davidegrogan As I read the regulation, standing at attention with hands at the sides, without placing the hand over the heart, is proper for citizens of other nations, not for American citizens. Salute or Stand at Attention During the National Anthem? Taps is played daily, respectively at 10 p.m. Right handoverthe heart (men without hats; women with or without hats) NOTE These forms of saluting are used only to salute the flag or national anthem, never to salute officers. Salute to National Color and Standard - PNP personnel stand at attention and salute the national color and standard as these pass by them or when the national coloris raised or lowered during ceremonies. I just need to complete my research before I put the information out as I want to be sure what I am saying is correct. October 4, 2019 @ August 4, 2019 @ The terms "Reveille" and "Retreat" can refer both to the ceremony that is used to show respect to the flag and to the music that initiates the event. What are your thoughts? Retreat signifies the end of the duty day and is a signal to pay respects. A U.S. Air Force Airman renders a salute to the American flag, depicting the proper respect to pay. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. Nothing is happening when Taps is played, so no action is needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgxDcEo5Jg&feature=youtu.be&t=5, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgxDcEo5Jg&feature=youtu.be&t=14, https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/Prep_For_Basic_Training/prep_for_basic_drill_and_ceremony/position-of-attention.shtml, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgxDcEo5Jg&feature=youtu.be&t=17, https://www.marines.mil/News/Messages/Messages-Display/Article/886473/customs-and-traditions/, https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301, https://davidegrogan.com/2017/07/salute-or-stand-at-attention-during-the-national-anthem/, http://www.onlinedrummajor.com/dictionary.html, https://corcoranhighschoolmusic.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/2/8/29287141/corcoran_panther_pride_marching_handbook.pdf. This is not to discourage you from saying the Pledge it is instead just a guideline in full military uniform. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/ec\/Stand-at-Ease-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Stand-at-Ease-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/ec\/Stand-at-Ease-Step-6-Version-2.jpg\/aid171412-v4-728px-Stand-at-Ease-Step-6-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2023 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. 301 so all of the rules about veterans options for saluting the flag are in one place. - Service members in uniform should stand at attention and salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform [emphasis added]; and. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. If you are former or current part of the U.S. Military, you may salute for the entire National Anthem. When I went into the military, I was told when not in uniform to stand at attention. Since I wrote Salute or Stand at Attention During the National Anthem on July 17, 2017, Ive received more questions about what the rules are for veterans saluting the flag of the United States than any other subject. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the. CJM USArmy 71 74, davidegrogan 11:17 AM. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Diana, thats very interesting. Box 55101Tulsa, OK 74155, Showroom AddressLIBERTY FLAGS,The American Wave5634 S. Mingo RoadTulsa, OK 74146, Showroom Hours8:30 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. CST M-F, The American Wave - Residential American Flag Set with Spinning Pole (Fixed Bracket), Military Nylon Outdoor Flags - Set of 6 flags only, Grave Markers - Flag Holders - General Military, Pioneer Residential Flagpole - External Halyard, Skyscape Commercial Flagpole - External Halyard, Embassy Commercial Flagpole - Internal Halyard, Empire Commercial Flagpole - Internal Halyard, Corporate Logo Flags - Custom, Rectangular, Large American flags are back! The phrase "men not in uniform" refers tocivil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, andletter carriers - non-veteran civil servants whomight normally render a salute while in uniform.. If wikiHow has helped you, please consider a small contribution to support us in helping more readers like you. You have to just move your left leg when you hear the command to "stand at ease". 3. When is it appropriate to use the Military Salute vs. Hand over Heart? Finally, hold your arms straight against your sides and cup your hands so your thumbs are touching your index fingers. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. After making sure the language of the Pledge is clear, Congress prescribes that when reciting the Pledge, you should stand at attention facing the flag and place your right hand over your heart. Individual soldiers remain at the attention position regardless of the movement of others in the formation. Then render your salute as you did when you were in active service at the eyebrow. Drill,1979, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Styles of Command in Seventeenth-Century English Armies", "Order arms Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster", "Air Force ROTC Detachment 225, Pass in Review", The Canadian Forces Manual of Drill and Ceremonial, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Drill_commands&oldid=1127242860, Short description with empty Wikidata description, Wikipedia indefinitely semi-protected pages, Articles lacking in-text citations from November 2020, Articles containing potentially dated statements from 2015, All articles containing potentially dated statements, All articles that may contain original research, Articles that may contain original research from January 2015, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. Follow your commanding officer's order to come to attention. listen to me. Bummer. Thank You, davidegrogan Try not to look around or move your head while standing at attention to keep an air of formality. Covered means you are wearing your uniform hat. Bring your spine to wherever your right foot is located. If you are not a veteran or current military then you remove any hats and place your hand over you heart until the ceremony has ended. To stand at attention, start by standing up straight and rolling your shoulders back. It helps to focus your eyes on some object in front of you and stare at that until youre given the command to stand at ease. Do they remove their head covering also? L. 110417, [div. So, my advice whether you render the salute or put your right hand across your heart, remove your baseball cap. This process was drilled into troops until they could do it by instinct and feel. Although I covered what options veterans have when the National Anthem is played in my July 17, 2017, article, Ill restate the rules found in 36 U.S.C. At the first notes of "Reveille" or "Retreat," stop where you are and turn to face the flag. The reason you stand and salute for those calls is because the flag is being lowered. Those new tothe basemay not be aware of some military traditions. In the evening "Retreat" is played prior to "To the Colors." ("Colors" refer to the flag of the United States and can also include the unit flag). This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Unless directed otherwise by your superiors, you usually may wear military headdresses while the National Anthem plays. Thomas thanks for your comment. The movements sideways or at angles, the pirouettes, etc., were the movements needed for massed cavalrymen to form and reform and deploy. They take a break and play the anthem w/ a huge wall flag. To learn how to stand at attention during the National Anthem or in marching band, scroll down! 3:44 PM, Section C of the above code states men should remove their head dress but what about women? Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. Afterwards recently, I was approached by a young man who was connected to the Marines. False I made a good friend there Mark Malakooti and we would practice saluting, sometimes a little irreverently, every time we saw each other, popping a crisp salute no matter what we were wearing. I notice your US Code makes no mention of indoors or outdoors. Which foot should be relaxed if I am standing at ease? Avoid locking your knees while you stand at attention, as this can cause dizziness. The parade formation commander and other officers execute the hand salute or execute sabre salute if available (especially if full dress uniform is worn) (and if present on parade the company guidon bearers dip them in salute about 90 degrees above the ground), while everyone but the right file or left file in either case turns their heads to the right. (A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; (B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and, (C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and. When I read the statute, much to my surprise, I saw standing at attention wasnt one of the options given, so I started to place my hand over my heart. Your right leg should be at rest. Before you can stand at ease, you need to be standing at attention. Bill Id not heard of the remain silent during the pledge part very interesting! Ive recently been exposed to the national anthem outdoors from multiple family graduations. The arms will be lowered back to their normal position on the commands Order arms. You should always salute a Medal of Honor recipient no matter what the rank. Drill commands are generally used with a group that is marching, most often in military foot drills or in a marching band. When this happens, shift your left foot about 1-2 feet to the left and bend your knees slightly. July 31, 2019 @ The Flag Code states that if you render a hand salute during the Pledge you must do it as you were in full uniform. You must automatically assume the stance of attention when an officer passes you by. A], title V, 595, Oct. 14, 2008, 122 Stat. Author's Thoughts When to Salute: When is it appropriate to use the Military Salute vs. Hand over Heart? Someone may question you if you salute while wearing a baseball cap, especially if the cap is not in the best condition. References. 8:50 PM. Many Air Force installations play Taps to signify lights out or to begin quiet hours. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. 3:55 PM. With practice and the proper technique, you'll be able to develop and strengthen your position of attention. may i have your attention. I was taught to stand at attention and not put hand over heart, the hand over heart was for Pledge. I asked the band leader a my local college about veterans saluting out of uniform and fumbling while trying to remove the hat and saluting. % of people told us that this article helped them. C) March in quick time toward the flag while saluting from the first note to the last.