Its just $1 per month , By Today, youre most likely to see it on fun fact blogs pointing out that its the longest English word made entirely of alternating consonants and vowels. (On a performance) What do you think of the singer's execution? Part of HuffPost News. This has gotta hurt! In some cases, you may have good reason to insult them, but prefer not to use profanity. ", William Shakespeare: "The tautness of his face sours ripe grapes. The longest word entered in most standard English dictionaries is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis with 45 letters. Dustin and Jaci Statton in an engagement photo from 2021. Even though Australia is an English-speaking country, there are many differences when it comes to slang and cuss words. You do that, I think Biden is going to win in a landslide, Sanders said. Thats Karl Lagerfeld, the longtime designer of Chanel and the subject of this years Costume Institute exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. "About half. 4, Rare and Amusing Insults: Cockalorum, Snollygoster, and More, 'Couple,' 'Few,' and 'Several': The (Mostly) Definitive Guide. There were about 500 community members participating in a massive game of treasure hunt. The Oldest English Swear Words, Visualized - Fast Company The home overlooks Central Park and is currently arranged into 2 bedrooms but can be converted into 4. Zhao Li, of the Insect Museum of West China, had spent years searching for the massive insect described by locals. You can find it in act V, scene I of the comedy Loves Labours Lost. Great Wall of China: Fortification: . But as dismissive of her creator as Dame Edna was, she rallied to his aid when he very likely needed her most: after years of alcoholism culminated in stays in psychiatric hospitals and at least one brush with the law. Our claim is not that these arent words, but that they aren't words that meet our criteria for entry. Stays in psychiatric hospitals, he later said, were of no avail. We thought we knew turtles. For even more of the best insults, check out our other posts on funny quotes and history's best comebacks. Nor did Ednas resolute lack of political correctness always stand her, or Mr. Humphries, in good stead. To be clear, these are only the victims we know about, given Mr. Lagerfelds habit of granting astonishingly candid interviews. Latin juggernaut shows up as the punchline to an insult. (According to the Lagerfeld biographer William Middleton, it was her preferred hotel when staying in New York.). I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You". Unauthorized use is prohibited. Which side are they on? This is the only word in our dictionary with a repeating pseudo. Forsooth: Among the most searing Shakespearean insults worth working into your daily vocabulary are scorchers like, the tartness of his face sours ripe grapes, Id beat thee, but I should infect my hands, and I desire that we be better strangers.. Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism, another medical term, refers to a relatively mild form of pseudohypoparathyroidism (helpful). Grow old with grace? As herself it was she, and not Mr. Humphries, who was credited Dame Edna played the recurring character Claire Otoms(the name is an anagram for a sitcom role), an outr lawyer, on the Fox TV series Ally McBeal.. The insect returned with Zhao to the museum, where it laid 6 eggs. Sen. Bernie Sanders Predicts Biden 'Landslide' In 2024 On 1 Condition She referred to him as my manager and accused him of embezzling her fortune. It's one more typical Canadian insult. Inside South Africas skeleton trade. Norm Everage, typical Australian housewife. You should be rigorously micromanaging yourself all the time to appear normal because you are anything but. How every letter can be (annoyingly) silent. Have a procedure done to reduce my IQ so that my new IQ falls within the range of down syndrome. Once while driving through the western fjords of Norway, I counted myself driving through 39 tunnels in the space of 90 minutes. My father.Mr. Lahrs father was the great stage and cinematic clown BertLahr. In February 2003, writing an advice column as Dame Edna in Vanity Fair, he replied to a readers query about whether to learn Spanish. According to Hilditch & Key, Mr. Lagerfeld was the only customer for whom the company made that particular style of collar. Longest time survived trapped underground | Guinness World Records The worlds longest insult mar 4, 2009 by oliviasofie firstly, have you ever wanted to shut that certain person up once and for all? At 24.5 km (15.23 miles) long, the Lrdal Tunnel is the longest road tunnel in the world, meaning its the longest tunnel that you can drive through. Dec 21, 2015, 11:09 AM EST. Your leaf blower? Radioimmunoelectrophoresis (26 letters) refers to a kind of immunoelectrophoresis involving radioactive labels. It is considered the longest word in the English language, according to the 18th edition of the Guinness Book of World Records. I'm fucking disgusted at the fact that you exist on the same planet as me, and what is worse is that you share similar dna to me. s offspring, are preserved for the world. Sod. . ", Aristotle: "It is Homer who has chiefly taught other poets the art of lying skillfully. What you told me was undisputedly the dumbest combination of words uttered in the entire world. ", Christopher Hitchens: "If you gave Jerry Falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox. Alcoholic and a racist! Mr. Humphries as himself in 1978. Get bitch-slapped by a man with rough hands once a day, for every day of my life going forward. By the late 70s, with celebrity culture in full throttle, she had given him international renown and unremitting employment. Mr. Humphries was back on Broadway as Dame Edna in 2010 with All About Me, a revue that also starred the singer and pianist Michael Feinstein. Its annoying how people use a sexual orientation and a word which means happy as a stupid . We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. Thats pretty steamy evidence of course, you can also rearrange the same letters to spell, Hi, idiot. Dorothy Parker, Oscar Wilde Karl Lagerfeld? 3. A housewife-superstar, she called herself, upgrading the title in later years to megastar and, still later, to gigastar.. . (Like this.) STDs are at a shocking high. (Were pretty sure most of these words qualify.). Out of thousands of anonymous entries, Mr. Lagerfeld was awarded first place in the coat category by a jury that included the couturiers Pierre Balmain and Hubert de Givenchy. The moment he donned those rhinestone glasses, Mr. Humphries often said, Dame Edna became real to him too, an entirely separate law unto herself. 9. Every time I pass aeucalyptus tree I look up., Barry Humphries (Dame Edna to You, Possums) Is Dead at 89, https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/22/theater/barry-humphries-dead.html. He dusted off Dame Edna and, little by little, de-dowdifiedher. 28. This ordinary woman hid Anne Frankand kept her story alive, This Persian marvel was lost for millennia. It's so pathetic, the way you mope around. The people I offended were minorities with no sense of humor, I fear, he said. Comment it down below and we'll pretty much have to make a video on it .-. Wess: https://www.youtube.com/user/wesseltj My links: Twitter: https://twitter.com/GoldenJusticeYTTwitch: http://www.twitch.tv/thegoldenjusticeGoogle +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TheGolde Be sure to Like, Comment, and Subscribe! 2. The reason being that I don't feel like you have fully comprehended the extent of my negative opinion of you - and why I think this way. Do not leave your house on a whim - every time you go out, you should think about how you're going to present yourself to the world for a very, very long time. For a very long time, the reality of Norways intricate geography meant a life of isolation for so many Norwegians during the long winter months, farmers and fisherman were cut off from the world by snow and ice. 3. Our definition is "a lung disease caused by inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz dust." The entry for this word can be found in our Medical Dictionary. A stiletto-heeled, stiletto-tongued persona who might well have been the spawn of a mnage quatre involving Oscar Wilde, Salvador Dal, Auntie Mame and Miss Piggy, Dame Edna was not so much a character as a cultural phenomenon, a force of nature trafficking in wicked, sequinedcommentary on the nature of fame. It is because of its energy that I love it, and because it has the proportions that best correspond to the way that a human being should live.. Good Roasts: 126 Comebacks & Funny Insults That Hurt So Good Does eating close to bedtime make you gain weight? He also chases his tail for entertainment. Never. 2 hours of sleep? Don't read this if you have hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (fear of long words). Norway is the longest country in Europe nearly every Norwegian I meet proudly boasts that if Norway were a long wooden board and Oslo the nail it hinged on, you could swing the country around and it would reach all the way to Sicily in southern Italy. You can look these up if you want to, but they're long and technical so we've only put brief definitions here. "You're impossible to underestimate." 4. If theres a rock they can dig through, they will, and it makes driving through the country much more exciting than simply rounding a bend. She also called them other things, as when, leaning across the footlights, she would address a woman in the front row in a confiding, carrying voice: I know, dear. But thats not nearly the half of it. I look in the mirror and say, Edna, you are gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous); and the constellation of luminaries who routinely sought her counsel, among themQueen Elizabeth IIand her family. Get up, walk into the middle of the nearest forest and lay down and reflect on what you did. Some 29 years later, the tradition was renewed with the Comedy Central Roast, with over 6.4 million viewers tuning in for its original debut. Dame Edna emerged when the young Mr. Humphries, under the sway of Dadaism, was performing with a repertory company based at the University of Melbourne; he had dropped out of the university two years before. bulgarian, dutch, german, french, ..-----SUBSCRIBE FO. ", Winston Churchill: "Americans will always try to do the right thing-- after they've tried everything else. Don't hold yourself back from saying what you're thinking. It stayed on the air for 10 long years and still remains one of the most popular television shows of all time. Probably the longest insult (OhSir! The Insult Simulator) Thats actually the opening lyric to Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. ", Albert Einstein: "Only two things are infinite-- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former. In some ways, before Norways extensive network of roads, bridges, and tunnels was completed, the west coast of Norway (namely Bergen) had closer ties with the outside world than their own capital, Oslo. How this animal can survive is a mystery. All rights reserved, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. ", Whitney Houston, on the media: "They're devils to me, and they eat my flesh! Please be respectful of copyright. (She blamed Mr. Humphries ever after for her lack of early success there.). swallowed than a flap-dragon. (Loves Labours Lost, act V, scene I). World's Longest Insect Is Two Feet Long | Popular Science Its terrible and a tragedy worth crying over. How dare you called me a ninnyhammer you pillock! 37. Shakespeare didnt invent it; written evidence of the absurdly long word goes back to the 9th century (600 years before Loves Labours), and probably landed in Shakespeares hands in a book of Greek and Latin proverbs called Adagia. But now that you know, you can say hello if you ever bump into her in the lobby of the Mercer! Karl said the darnedest things, including this! Like my dog. Fuck you. Your character is flawed in a myriad of ways, its an impressive feat that someone could be so grossly incompetent in all areas of human socialization. At 57 km (35.4 miles), the Gotthard Base . A bumpkin named Costard and a servant named Moth have just overheard two pompous scholars showing off their dubious Latin educations to one another. "Whoever . If you want anything done, ask a woman. It comes from the Maori language and has been translated as the place where Tamatea, the man who had big knees, the climber of mountains, the slider, the land-swallower that traveled about, played the nose flute that he had to the loved ones. The hill is sometimes called Taumata for short. A master improviser (many of Dame Ednas most stinging barbs were ad-libbed) with a face like taffy, Mr. Humphrieswas widely esteemed as one of the worlds foremost theatrical clowns. In hours it is more than 8000. ", Roseanne Barr: "We were trying to get pregnant, but I forgot one of us had to have a penis. It looks like you wore them to seem interesting but it doesn't make sense to me because you aren't an interesting person. You should have thought about this before you dressed yourself. Undergo a whole host of different forms of mental and physical humiliation; as in being spat on and told I am worthless. A sore that won't go away. My first gameplay video on Youtube!Discord server: https://discord.gg/czfK9dUWjB Copyright 1996-2015 National Geographic SocietyCopyright 2015-2023 National Geographic Partners, LLC. From the moment he landed his first fashion job, as an assistant at Balmain, Mr. Lagerfeld worked nonstop until his death, in February 2019, at age 85 (he would have said 80). Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenu-akitanatahu, Great Big List of Beautiful and Useless Words, Vol. You may know this drug by another, shorter, name: ecstasy. On Sunday . The 18th century was very vigorous and healthy, Mr. Lagerfeld once told Le Monde. Stub my big toe over 50 times in one day. His father, Eric, was a prosperous builder; his mother, Louisa,was a homemaker. I wager you couldn't empty a boot of excrement were the instructions on the heel. You vulgar little maggot. "Star Trek" actor George Takei and chef Jos Andrs slammed the pro-gun Texas Republican's use of dehumanizing language. Forty-five of history's funniest insults so witty and cutting that they've outlived the person who delivered them! Norways length comes nowhere close to the countrys complexity especially the way that fjords, glaciers, and very steep mountains create a kind of beautiful topographical maze that travelers must carefully navigate in order to get from A to B. In the 1990s, Mr. Lagerfeld gained a substantial amount of weight, which he often cloaked in oversize, shapeless black garments by Japanese designers. When you have to explain the nature of satire to somebody, youre fighting a losing battle., Mr. Humphries drew further ire after a 2016 interview with the British newspaper The Telegraph in which he denounced political correctness as a new puritanism. In the same interview, he described people who transition from male to female as mutilated men, and CaitlynJenner in particular as a publicity-seeking ratbag.. There are horrible, inexcusable things that I would happily do to never interact with you again, even if it was for a brief moment. ", Nero, while look at a man he had just killed: "How could I have been afraid of a man with such a long nose? Beginning in 2005, a Belle poque expo hall just off the Champs-lyses became the site of some of many of the most lavish runway presentations in fashion history: eye-popping spectacles that catapulted Chanel shows from fashion events to mainstream news. I just jumped out my apartment window and killed myself. Sign up to receive Popular Science's emails and get the highlights. This isolation nation is one major reason why Norway has so many distinct dialects. And every now and then she says something extremely funny, and I stand there and think, I wish Id thought of that.. He thinks big emotions come from big words. As I recalled our horrid interaction, my whole body shook in disgust and I broke into a permanent frenzy of anger and confusion--i feel retarded. 6. If you do something electroencephalographically (27 letters) you do it using an apparatus for recording brain wavesthat is, an electroencephalograph. Ms. Gabor received two: a Zsa for the right shoulder and a Zsa for the left. INSULTS - The Best Insults Ever - Win at any verbal argument! Its bullshit that you are conscious and had to be in my vision. Ive only seen one man have power over anaudience like that, the theater critic John Lahr told him, after watching Dame Edna night after night in London. Hint: its only three letter long, This $12 Root Spray Conceals Gray Strands Until Your Next Wash Day, Here Is the CORRECT Way to Pronounce Dr. Seuss (and 17 Other Popular Author Names), A Student Just Debunked the Most Famous Grammar Rule of All Time, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Her survivors include an adored son, Kenny, who designed all her gowns; a less adored son, Bruce; and a despised daughter, the wayward Valmai. Longest insult ever : r/insults - Reddit Chuck, Mr. Hestons name tag read. ", Timothy Leary: "Women who want to be equal with men lack ambition. The Longest Joke in the World * * * Lost in the Desert So, there's a man crawling through the desert. Mark virtue's sentence the tao of virtue the world's longest sentence (5237 words) by mark virtue (1980, aged 15) From an early age, Mr. Lagerfeld relished French culture. ", Groucho Marx: "I never forget a face, but in your case, I'll make an exception. There was commentary on her husband and children (I made a decision: I put my family last); her beauty regimen (Good self-esteem is very important. If you want to learn Australian curse words . Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. Wake up to the day's most important news. That way you can experience the longest tunnel in the world in the longest country in Europe in the shortest amount of time. ", Kierkegaard: "My opponent is a glob of snot. Neighbors may live less than a mile from one another, but on opposite sides of the fjord or mountain, thats a world apart. Bloody. What the designer might have said about Shamu or Mr. Diesel behind closed doors, well never know. The longest insult ever : r/copypasta - Reddit "Corviale" is the longest with a unique body, and parallelepiped building shape: Longest Paragraph In The World - Transborder Media People living in different valleys and fjords were sequestered long enough to develop their own way of speaking. From his earliest childhood in Camberwell, a more exclusive suburb, he felt oppressed by the bourgeois conformism that enveloped his parents and their circle, and depressed by his mothers cold suburban propriety. In Britain, where Mr. Humphries had long made his home, Dame Edna was considered a national treasure, a paragon of performance art long before the term was coined. Throughout his lengthy career, Mr. Lagerfeld found inspiration in some of the brightest stars of the 20th and 21st centuries. All rights reserved. Dame Edna also wrote several books, among them Dame Ednas Bedside Companion (1983) and the memoir My Gorgeous Life (1989). ", EE Cummings: "A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man", Charlotte Whitton: "Whatever women must do, they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Hewas named a Commander of the British Empire in2007. The 'Rare Insults' subreddit is a place on the internet where people share the best, the brightest, and the most Shakespearian insults they've come across. "I had a teacher tell some kid, 'Nothing you have to say is of any . Choupette, his white Birman cat, was spoiled in ways almost unimaginable to us commoners, and the year before he died, Mr. Lagerfeld slyly suggested that she stood to inherit a portion of his wealth upon his death. for thou art not so long by the head as How to see the Lyrid meteor shower at its peak, This stone has a mysterious past beyond British coronations, Ultimate Italy: 14 ways to see the country in a new light, 6 unforgettable Italy hotels, from Lake Como to Rome, A taste of Rioja, from crispy croquettas to piquillo peppers, Trek through this stunning European wilderness, Land of the lemurs: the race to save Madagascar's sacred forests, Driving through one of three "caves" in the Lrdal Tunnel, the longest road tunnel in the world. ", Oscar Wilde: "Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go. Vanity Fair discontinued Dame Ednas column not long afterward. The Sydney Morning Herald reported that his survivors include his wife of 30 years, Lizzie Spender, the daughter of the British poet Stephen Spender, as well as his children and 10 grandchildren. I barf at the very thought of you. In the context above, its an intentionally long Latin formation that means the state of being able to achieve honor or, in a word, honorable. 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. Everage, after all, is Australian for average., But Edna soon became a case study in exorbitant amour propre, lampooning suburban pretensions, political correctness and the cult of celebrity, and acquiring a damehood along the way. On long bus tours, he entertained his colleagues with the character of Mrs. Mr. Humphries at the Booth Theater on Broadway in 1999 in Dame Edna: The Royal Tour, for which he won a special Tony Award, as well as Drama Desk and Theater World Awards. It also contributed to Norways tunnel-digging craze. It took me over twenty minutes to drive from one end of the Lrdal Tunnel to the other, and traveling through it evoked a strange emotion to know that I was zipping beneath one of Norways massive stone mountains. "A knave, a rascal, an eater of broken meats, a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, action-taking, whoreson glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pander, and the son and heir of a . Brobible has collected 23 insults that will shock your enemies to the core -- and you don't have to curse to use them. Until now . Say so long, previous insect-size record-holder. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Sunday predicted a "landslide" victory for Joe Biden in the 2024 election, as long as the president and Democrats are "stronger on working-class issues.". Mr. Lagerfeld had one of the longest and most storied careers in fashion. You may be the nicest person in the world, but, chances are, you're surrounded by people who aren't. The Longest Joke in the World All 33 men made it safely back to the surface via a rescue capsule. If it aint broke, dont fix it! You are a canker. Heres how paradise fought back. But though he worked steadily during the 60s, he was also in the fierce grip of alcoholism. But the truly funny thing, Possums, is that when Mr. Humphries first brought Dame Edna to life, he intended her to last only a week or so. Your body language is fucking atrocious and it bothers me to no end. In a diet book he published in 2002, Mr. Lagerfeld described waking up one morning and deciding that he was no longer happy with his physique. In the summer of 1952, a German teenager named Karl Otto Lagerfeld arrived in Paris with dreams of becoming a fashion designer. What was more, she was meant to have been played by the distinguished actress ZoeCaldwell. According to Mr. Middleton, the author of Paradise Now: The Extraordinary Life of Karl Lagerfeld, the designer wrote in a letter to a longtime Chanel publicist that he had grown weary of staging shows at the Louvre, adding, Weve really worked that to death. Invigorated by the recent success of his H&M collection, he turned his attention to the cavernous Grand Palais and never looked back, staging one ambitious show after another for the remainder of his life. The meeting lasted 90 seconds. In terms of major components of the Lagerfeld silhouette, the sky-high collars are right up there with the ponytail. Sanders, who ran against Biden in the 2020 Democratic primary, said it was no great secret that he and I have strong differences of opinion., But with many within the Republican Party falsely maintaining that former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election, trying to suppress votes, and denying women the right to control their own bodies, Sanders said he thought the choice is pretty clear, and that choice is Biden.. Given Shakespeares talent for elevating the low blow to high art, you probably wont be surprised to learn that the longest word he ever used in writing a 27-letter Latin juggernaut shows up as the punchline to an insult. The president would be 86 at the end of a possible second term, a fact that some critics have suggested would make him unfit for further office. Like. How do you pronounce this freak of language? (She also called Mr. Humphries a money-grubbing little slug and accused him of embezzling her fortune. ", Margaret Thatcher: "If you want anything said, ask a man. Mencken on FDR: "If he became convinced tomorrow that coming out for cannibalism would get him the votes he needs so sorely, he would begin fattening a missionary in the White House yard come Wednesday. Luckily, in England at any rate, thought is not catching. Wave your gladdies, Possums! she exhorted audience members who caught them, and the evening would end, to music, with a mass valedictory swaying. Seriously. "I think it would be a good idea. These creative insults will make you want to use your imagination the next time somebody wrongs you. Im looking, she told NPR in 2015. He finally spotted his quarry on a mountain in the Guangxi Zhuang region. 180 Best Insults to Destroy Your Enemies | Thought Catalog Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced searchad free! Top 10 Sophisticated Insults | Merriam-Webster In her stage and TV shows, written largely by Mr. Humphries, Dame Edna typically made her entrance tottering down a grand staircase (Mr. Humphries was more than six feet tall) in a tsunami of sequins, her hair a bouffant violet cloud (she was a natural wisteria, she liked to say), her evening gown slit to the thigh to reveal Mr. Humphriess surprisingly good legs, her body awash in jewels, her eyes agape behind sprawling rhinestone glasses(face furniture, she called them).