Length: 10.4 mi Est. I had finished my walk from Whitstable to Herne Bay, but I wasnt ready to go to the station yet. At high tide, follow this route to continue the walk to Broadstairs. Luckily, there was no need to walk on it, except to get a different vantage point when taking photos. The walk is about 5 miles and is fairly level throughout and with a good walking surface. Whether you're looking for boutique festivals or big stage events, our line up of Kent's best music festivals will soon persuade you to dig out that tent. Venice is a lot quieter then as all the cruise ship tourists have gone home, this means you will see more of the true local "Venice life". Coastal walks | Southeastern Read our fundraising promise. Just a note, there are different train routes. Best Coastal Walks in Kent - Experience Freedom Walking and cycling routes change over time. 151. Whitstable to Faversham | Round the Island Famous for oysters, with traditional oyster shacks (too bad I dont like oysters), vintage shops, galleries. London born and bred, I have previously moved to the South West, and now Yorkshire, mixed in with some van life, looking for all the best places for hiking. 5 days from. We decided to walk part of the Viking Coastal Trail between Minnis Bay and Margate on a mid-week morning in June. This seaside town on the north coast of Kent is famous for its 'Native Oysters' which were / are collected from beds beyond the low water mark from Roman times until the mid-20th century. In the evening enjoy a relaxed dinner at your hotel. 1 hour and 44 minutes Professional and friendly tour guides, well looked after, great locations and hotels. 6 meals: 4 breakfasts, 2 dinners. The next phase from Ramsgate to Whitstable (original consultation 2015) is due to open in 2023. ", "Go out of season - the cruise ship crowds have gone and you will get the place to yourself, so between September to March. Whitstable - Wikipedia I am a 25 year old American who recently moved to London. Well organised tour with a enthusiastic, knowledgable tour leader. Traveling is my passion! Hear about Charles Dickens' long connection with Broadstairs from 1837 to 1851 and see the cottage that was Charles Dickens' inspiration for the home of Betsey Trotwood in David Copperfield. Originally opened to the public in 1863 you will have time to explore this unique attraction. Whitstable Beach Campaign supported Natural England who are mapping and planning the route to make sure that privately-owned Whitstable . Or you could stop for a sandwich in Sandwich! Historians believe that this was the site of one of the earliest Roman forts. There are many local legends about the ruins of St Mary's Church. reviewed Whitstable Shore Circular. You also start to get the cliffs on this section. Industry leading discounts, we won't be beaten on price. You can find beautiful nature here and it's a great place for birdwatching!". But thats another story). The 'Safe Travels' stamp provides you, with assurance and peace of mind that we have implemented enhanced health and hygiene prprotocols on all holidays. No, given the nature of our holidays, it is not possible to join the tour once it has departed. The 7 Best Walks in Kent | Wanderlust And during the summer, you can experience the annual . This recently renovated hotel was built by Sir Alfred Yarrow in the Jacobean style. ", "You can't go wrong with an umbrella! . Reculver Towers and Roman Fort is well worth a visit the imposing twin towers of the medieval church dominate the skyline. Quality hotel, in a lovely location with good companions and excellent Just You Tour Manager Caroline. Starting from Whitstable harbour, and heading right, there is a brief walk along the main road before turning left at beach street. It is also a condition of our ATOL license and is regularly monitored by the Civil Aviation Authority. : Day 3 My reason for taking this holiday was to re visit Broadstairs a place I used to go to a a child - the old part had changed little. If you are in Ramsgate look out for information on Active Ramsgate, For a copy of the route and leaflet supporting the route please click here, The route is also known as the Regional Cycle Network 15 and well signed throughout with the trail logo. Looking at the map, I realised I was less than a third of the way to Margate. Whitstable has one of Kent's most beautiful shingle beaches, which is ideal for strolling along and admiring the views. Ramsgate to Sandwich takes you through a nature reserve then a few miles of boring road, but the finish line of the medieval town of Sandwich makes up for it. A great walk to a great pub - Rose in Bloom, Whitstable, Kent I had estimated that the scooter would probably get me to Margate but that I would be happy to get as far as Minnis Bay. At the Harbour you can see the live restoration of a43-foot wooden Oyster Yawl called the Gamecock, aNational Historic Ship. Once very popular with contrabandists and named after the famous smuggler Joss Snelling (1741-1837), it is now recognised as being Kent's best surfing beach. October 31, . How to get there: There are direct trains from both London Victoria (1h 30min) and St Pancras (1h 20min). October 29, 2022 Walking. More information: Thanet Coastal Path & Pegwell Bay. Not unlike other English seaside towns, except this one was pretty quiet. When the tide is low, you can continue along the sea wall, for another 450 metres, before reaching a ramp that leads you down onto the sandy beach. Minster to Broadstairs - 4 ways to travel via train, taxi, and car Continue straight on this stretch of path beside Whitstable's pebbled beach for approx 750 metres, making your way towards the white weatherboard-clad Old Neptune pub up ahead (known as 'Neppy' to locals, and one of only a handful of pubs to be found on the beaches of Britain). Finish: Herne Bay. Someone was even in the water. Sustrans is committed to fundraising in a way which is legal, open, honest and respectful. The sea wall runs directly along the foot of white chalk cliffs at this point and approximately 200 metres further on you will reach a switch-back path up to the cliff-top. Just You allows you to transfer existing payments to a future tour to avoid cancellation fees if you can't travel and inform just you, 75 days before departure. Tankerton Beach and The Street, Whitstable, Kent. .more. 9 included meals: 4 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 4 dinners including a welcome drink. ", "Walk through the old town! I have made this mistake before, and thought I had learnt my lesson. Happy hiking ;). Jun 2021. Everything I write about is a walk I have done so I can give you a personal account of what they are like. From Victoria, it is slightly longer. The Reculver walk is a fascinating one, with incredible views and heritage and makes a lovely family walk. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Our Holiday Properties | Kent Coastal Cottages | Keepers Cottages If you want a relaxing, easy seaside stroll, then this is the one. ", "If you're not already on a tour with flights but still arriving by air, you can take a boat from the dock at Marco Polo Airport on the mainland. Copyright @ 2019 She walks in England - All Right Reserved. If the past few years have taught us anything, it's the importance of the outdoors! A timeless family-friendly resort packed with beautiful bays and things to see and do. One of the many trails I am working on completing. 1. Best hotels on the Kent coast | Telegraph Travel The Eurostar terminal at Ashford International is 35-40 minutes' drive from the hotel. It reminded me a little of the hillside hamlets in Tenerife. We dont receive any money until after youve come back from your holiday so your money is 100% protected no matter what. But remember that there is no sea-wall to escape to if you get caught out by the rising tide, so plan ahead. Follow the Viking Coastal trail and enjoy the glorious views. At high tide take the cliff-top section of the paved' path that finishes shortly after Dumpton Gap and continue on short grass for approximately 450 metres. Walk to the harbour and visit some of the fantastic shops and galleries this town has to offer. 24 miles) Whitstable to Broadstairs. ", "1) If you're not already on a tour (or have free time) rent a car! Traverse beautiful green hills aboard the Heritage railways, admire far-reaching views and discover coastal towns. Access is available along the cliff top (part of the England Coast Path) or for dogs on lead along the chalk near the base of the cliff at low tide; or within the Pegwell Country Park or Viking Ship Picnic area. Whitstable is just 8 miles from Canterbury Cathedral, found in the center of this historic city. Weve got a lot of amazing places in our county, but we wondered what are some of the things that make you say wow? If you'd rather not get your feet wet but still want those sea views and the wind in your hair, head to The Old Neptune pub (The Neppy to its friends) - it's right by the . ", "Walk from the principal towns of Fira to Oia along the edge of the volcano crater, you will have stunning views of the sea on one side and the white cubiform houses and blue domes on the other. ", "Go between September and March. The best beaches and towns on the Kent coast for the perfect seaside ", With 25 years experience of travelling , discovering & exploring our beautiful Planet i look to take the "Road less Travelled" and hope to inspire others to do the same thru my adventures & photos, "Definitely in summer, from December to February! Kent CT9 1JD We will stop on the way back to the hotel to visit the Spitfire and Hurricane Memorial and see the collection of historic artefacts from the Second World War, which includes a Spitfire MkXVI which saw combat action in 1945. So far, I walked a bunch of the Kent coast. 01:01. Follow the path as it slopes down to the junction with Harbour Street, turn right and continue, downhill, past Wyatt and Jones, the Sun Terrace, Pavilion Gardens and the Tartar Frigate Public house. The Space at 8 is a stylish, two double-bed apartment on a terraced row no more than a couple of minutes' walk from Whitstable's high street, with its cafes, bars and shops, and less than five . Route . ", "Visit the wine regions, Coffin Bay National Park, the Opal City and the Pink Lake! I started from home and drove to Whitstable and parked at the station there. less. We wanted to go abroad, but for a UK trip, the first after lockdown, it ticked all the boxes. 05:31. Broadstairs is a coastal town on the Isle of Thanet in the Thanet district of east Kent, England, about 80 mi east of London. One of the most attractive circular leisure cycle routes in Kent, covering 32 miles (51.4km), taking in the coast of Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate before heading inland through the surrounding villages. This seaside town on the north coast of Kent is famous for its 'Native Oysters' which were / are collected from beds beyond the low water mark from Roman times until the mid-20th century. Just a note, there are different train routes. Covers the Kent area, including Ramsgate, Margate, Hastings, Dover, Canterbury and Royal Tunbridge Wells. Broadstairs is a beach resort on the east coast of Kent.It has sandy beaches, clean bathing water and a variety of pubs and restaurants. When a meal is not included we find travellers meet and dine together. VIKING COASTAL TRAIL (Kent) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go Visitor Information Centre "The city centre of the small town of Jardn is very picturesque. Kent famed as being the Garden of England is the perfect place to enjoy this explosion of tiny flowers. Not quite all of it, but that is the ongoing plan. The walk takes in history, wildlife and beautiful coastal . It includes a variety of difficulties and lengths - some are short city and beach walks, while others travel longer distances. Sustrans is a registered charity in England and Wales (326550) and Scotland (SC039263) and a company limited by guarantee registered in England (1797726) at 2 Cathedral Square, Bristol, BS1 5DD.